Various module communication issues and J2534 adapter suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@whtbronco
Voltage Drop Test is testing the connections without having to take them apart and you can work your way right to the problem.
So you have a volt meter and you put the red on the positive battery post and the black on the negative post you will get how many volts your battery is putting out. (12.v)
now that you know your volt meter is on and working,

The goal is to read 0 volts.(means all good connections) the more volts you read the worse the connection. (Ex 1.5v it's a little dirty all the way to 11.3v means almost no connection.)

(notice i dont say black and red colors here, that is because it doesnt matter what colors where)

Put one wire on negative post then put the other wire on the clamp that is on the negative post. If you read any volts at all those volts are being lost in the connection from the post to the clamp. (Ex if you read 1.5v you need to clean the battery terminal). put back together and move on to the next connection on the wire and one still on the battery post.
This can be done on both positive and negative sides the exact same way.

Look up (Voltage Drop Test) You tube vids get a little techy but my explanation should help a little.

OP
OP
whtbronco

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally found a ground that wasn't good last night. It didn't help this scenario, but it was certainly not making good contact. G400 driver side frame rail next to spare tire

OP
OP
whtbronco

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The voltage drop explanation makes perfect sense. I've never heard of that before, but man it does seem like a good way to test a circuit. I'll be trying that this weekend.

OP
OP
whtbronco

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well after numerous days and countless hours of troubleshooting this I have decided to put it on the back burner for a bit. There is no current evidence aside from the scanner anyway. I'll get back to it as it will continue to bother me until I figure it out.

In the meantime I'm gonna be replacing a rusted through rocker panel and finally building the fiberglass sub enclosure since the current box is constantly in the way and ticked me off for that last time.

This weekend is time to start learning to weld.

OP
OP
whtbronco

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I posted an update to the wrong thread, but this one will get some attention from me again very soon as it's associated with my transfer case issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
whtbronco

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I plan to start working on this again as time permits. After replacing the transfer case and shift motor I have fewer and more importantly so far consistent DTC's and thought I'd put them here so they are handy.

B2320 - Driver's mirror horizontal position sensor circuit fault. Driver Seat Module(DSM).
U1262 - SCP data link fault. Hybrid Electronic Cluster(HEC).
C1991 - Module Calibration Fault. Vehicle Dynamics Module(VDM), basically air suspension.

We don't use the presets for mirror, seat and pedals so I'm not sure the position sensor is actually needed. The air suspension has been replaced with traditional springs and adjustable struts. By choice I would just eliminate these features, but that's no easy task to my knowledge.

I haven't found any info on the mirror sensor just yet.

Cluster I dunno, I haven't researched this.

It appears that the VDM issue may simply be related to having removed the air suspension and the height sensors/switches might not be in the right place. I can try running calibration process. I really need to get one of so call "lights out modules" that just tells the system everything with the air suspension is good.

For more than a year now I had gotten P1000 every time I checked codes, so I was surprised when it wasn't set this time. Also noteworthy is that I checked, cleared and checked again and did not get varying results like I did in the past.

P1000 - OBD Systems Test Incomplete. PCM

OP
OP
whtbronco

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most likely I will use my Zurich ZR Pro scanner. I have ForScan, but I've had better luck using my Zurich scanner on my Expedition. ForScan works pretty well on my sons Ranger though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
whtbronco

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So it looks like a big portion of the issue I had previously was the transfer case shift motor, the clutch coil or both. No more troubleshooting tonight other to check for DTC's.

Just 3.
B2320 - Driver's mirror horizontal position sensor circuit fault. Driver Seat Module(DSM).
B2312 - Passenger's mirror horizontal position sensor circuit fault. Driver Seat Module(DSM).
C1991 - Module Calibration Fault. Vehicle Dynamics Module(VDM), basically air suspension.

When I have time I'll mess with the air suspension calibration some. The calibration test requires a successful pneumatic test first and I'll have to turn the air suspension back on for that. I'm not sure I can get the calibration to work though as the switches are pretty much frozen in place. Maybe I can find the resistance the module is looking for and throw a resistor in, I dunno.

The mirror sensors, well I'm not sure.

Honestly I really don't care if the mirror sensors or the air suspension work.