Very High Idling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NLAlston

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new here, and my name is Nathan. The question that I wish to pose concerns a very high idling of my 2001 5.4L Expy. This problem didn't surface until Christmas eve, which was about the same time that the Tranny became problematic (I just have first & second gears now).

The Expy was being test-driven by a mechanic at the Tranny repair facility, yesterday, who noticed that the vehicle was idling at around 2000K. Though he didn't know what the causative factor for that was, he did mention that he'd try to check it out when I brought it back in (which will be this morning) to have my Tranny problem fully diagnosed.

But, could a problem with the Tranny possibly cause a 'high idle' situation such as the one that I've described? I just wonder about this, being that both issues rose at about the same time.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HMMM.... is it throwing any codes? It sounds like your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) may be to blame for both issues.

Matt R

OP
OP
N

NLAlston

Reaction score
Thanks Matt.

I'd had no other attempts made to look at this thing, because I really feared for driving it around in the state that it was in. The truck was dropped off at 10am, this morning, and I am just waiting to hear some thing back from them.

Had I been armed with this suggestion, yesterday, I would have had the auto supply store (where I purchased some tranny fluid) perform a 'code' check (they do so, free of charge). I remember that the 'Check Engine' notice did illuminate a few weeks ago and I meant to take the vehicle in for a check up. However, that notice went away, and I had honestly forgotten all about it.

Hopefully, the affecting issue will prove to be a minor one, with minimal costs involved.

Thanks again.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well before they start pulling parts have them check the TPS sensor..... Mechanics like to "diagnose everything" and charge you more.....

Matt R

OP
OP
N

NLAlston

Reaction score
Originally posted by green03
well before they start pulling parts have them check the TPS sensor..... Mechanics like to "diagnose everything" and charge you more.....

Matt R

Hey Matt,

It seems that you might have been right on the money, with your suggestion. The mechanic didn't find any codes thrown at him - regarding a tranny problem, but he did receive one for the TPS. He also explained to me the very same thing that you did; how a malfunction with that unit could cause both experienced issues to surface. The only thing, now, is that this particular business does nothing but transmissions, and I have to find another place that handle 'engine' concerns. That shouldn't be a problem, though.

I wish to thank you, again, for the 'head's-up'.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
dude.... your local autozone has a TPS sensor... it is very easy to replace yourself. It is mounted on the side of the throttle body.

OP
OP
N

NLAlston

Reaction score
Originally posted by green03
dude.... your local autozone has a TPS sensor... it is very easy to replace yourself. It is mounted on the side of the throttle body.

Thanks Matt. But to be absolutely honest with you, I would'nt even know where the throttle body was. That's how mechanically inefficient I am ;).

I picked our Espy up, at 5:30pm this afternoon, and it has been acting 'normal' (for the most part) ever since. Firestone charged me $100 for a diagnostic test, but could not find anything out of the order. Their position was that I had a year on the diagnostic test, and that I should not hesitate (which I wouldn't) to bring it back in if - and when - the same indications showed up.

Thre only thing is that I am now hearing what sounds like a light humming, coming from the engine area when I drive it. It isn't constant, but when it comes in it heightens, at points, then it lowers the sound. I have no clue, whatsoever, what it might be attributed to, but I know that it is something different from before.

Our 2001 5.4L has been a very good wagon for us, and has served us well. The major needs for it were ball joints (addressed under the warranty), and sway bar work done, just last year. We get our oil changes on a regular basis, and that is about it. I would not hesitate to buy another Expedition, if the pockets were capable of handling the expense.

I wonder, now, if the truck was just depletive of the necessary amount of tranny fluid, and that it took a little longer - than expected - for the added amount to register, and effectuate a difference.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well the TPS failure is intermittant so I would just have it replaced. It has the same internals of a Volume knob on your stereo but sees alot more action with your right foot always being on and off the throttle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuziZ