Vibration With 22" Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hogsdill

Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of 22" OEM wheels that came from a 2015 Ford Expedition Platinum. I put the wheels on my 2010 Ford Expedition EL. I also bought a new set of Pirelli tires.

Ever since these were mounted, I've felt a vibration from the front and back. I've been back to the tire shop multiple times to make sure they were balanced and aligned. After I drive away from the shop, the vibration continues.

I'm wondering a couple of things...
  1. Do I need to purchase a set of hub centric rings?
  2. Do I have the right size lugs?
  3. Do I need to have it balanced by a Road Force Balancer?
Please help. Thanks!

brick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 22's on my 2016 Limited run smooth as glass. No idea if you have the correct lug nuts...
brick

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always pay for the Road Force balancing. It will make a noticeable difference. With regular balancing I always notice a little vibration, once they do the road force balance, the vibration goes away.

OP
OP
H

hogsdill

Reaction score
I always pay for the Road Force balancing. It will make a noticeable difference. With regular balancing I always notice a little vibration, once they do the road force balance, the vibration goes away.
I had the road force balance done and that did help. While they were doing the balance, they noticed a sound from within the wheel. The looked inside and saw the tire pressure sensor's mounting band was not tight against the wheel. It was just spinning inside. They believe this was causing my main issue with balance. After they tightened the sensors, they rebalanced and I haven't had any issues.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the road force balance done and that did help. While they were doing the balance, they noticed a sound from within the wheel. The looked inside and saw the tire pressure sensor's mounting band was not tight against the wheel. It was just spinning inside. They believe this was causing my main issue with balance. After they tightened the sensors, they rebalanced and I haven't had any issues.
That's great. I swear by that road force balancing. I like not having any vibration in the steering wheel when I'm driving. :)

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad that you solved the vibration issues. I guess it shows how little I know about trucks...that I've never even heard of Road Force balancing!

Ah well, I figure that it's better to admit you don't know something than to open your mouth and have everyone see that you don't! <LOL>

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad that you solved the vibration issues. I guess it shows how little I know about trucks...that I've never even heard of Road Force balancing!

Ah well, I figure that it's better to admit you don't know something than to open your mouth and have everyone see that you don't! <LOL>

jeff
Jeff, check around next time you get tires, it really makes a difference in the ride of the vehicle. It can make 3 ton Expedition feel like a sports car. My Ford dealer has a Road Force Balancing machine and the tire shop that I do business with has one too. I used to order tires from Tire Rack and then take them to the dealer for mounting and balancing until my local tire shop started matching Tire Rack's price without having to pay for shipping or mounting. :D

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check ur hubs... if u have play in them that could be it... lift the truck and push/ pull back and forth on the wheels... if it moves u need new hubs...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk