What is this box on my air intake for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2013 ford expedition. Idk what the box on the side of my air intake is for and is it needed? I had an 07 expedition and it didn't have this, I want to take the air intake off the 07 and put it on the 13 since I paid $250 for it.
1000003555.jpg

JimR_TN

Reaction score
That is a resonator. It helps balance the pressure waves in the intake smoothing the flow which makes it quieter and possibly improves power. I have seen debate on if this really impacts power or is just for a quieter ride.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's just for noise. Swap the 07 kit on and see how it sounds, if it has provisions to mount your maf meter.

OP
OP
L

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll let you know how it goes after swapping

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind, the paper filters keep out smaller particulate than the oiled cotton media does. I have not looked into the reusable dry stuff.

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind, the paper filters keep out smaller particulate than the oiled cotton media does. I have not looked into the reusable dry stuff.
This is not true. It was convincingly debunked by David vizard on his you tube channel

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you paid $250 for a "cold Air Intake" and it draws air from under the hood, you did not get a cold air intake. The factory OEM intake draws air from under the fender where it is cooler.

OP
OP
L

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you paid $250 for a "cold Air Intake" and it draws air from under the hood, you did not get a cold air intake. The factory OEM intake draws air from under the fender where it is cooler.
It draws air from the fender like the original intake, uses a larger intake tube in the fender