Wanting to upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tommy695

Reaction score
Hey guys been awhile since I've been on here but I have a few questions I thought y'all could help with. I was debating on buying a new transmission or having mine rebuilt but comparing the prices there ain't much difference so my question is where's the best place to buy a new one for the performance and money. And I'm wanting to upgrade the steering or just replace the factory stuff. Any input would be appreciated.

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys been awhile since I've been on here but I have a few questions I thought y'all could help with. I was debating on buying a new transmission or having mine rebuilt but comparing the prices there ain't much difference so my question is where's the best place to buy a new one for the performance and money. And I'm wanting to upgrade the steering or just replace the factory stuff. Any input would be appreciated.

Google search, than click shopping option. It works for me

What year is your expy?

4l60e 700r4 4l80e performance gm ford transmission performabuilt

Rebuilt Transmissions | Torque Converters | Transmission Parts & Much More

Performance Parts Wholesale - Flowmaster, K&N, AEM, Centerforce, Pacesetter, Jet Chips, Borla, EBC Brakes, Tokico, Eibach

Hennessey Performance | High Performance Upgrades, Parts & Accessories | Camaro SS, ZL1, F-150 Raptor, Corvette, CTS-V, Challenger SRT8, Jeep SRT8, GT-R

Jay Racing

Summit Racing

Brothers Performance is the Best Source for Aftermarket Ford Performance

BBK : BBK Performance Parts

Dragon Speed Performance

Last edited:

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Exia gave you all the right places to search that's for sure.

if you can afford a new upgraded trans then by far, that's the way to go.
if you know how, you can rebuild it to be bulletproof yourself
If your truck has the 4R100 transmission, then I suggest a rebuild, these transmissions are rated for 10,000 lb towing cap. and are the common transmissions used in their larger fleet vehicles. they can also be upgraded with shift kits(ranging from mild=$40 to extreme=$150) not to mention all the internals have aftermarket counterparts

we are really lucky with these trucks in that we have such a wide choice, find out what you need your trans to do for you, (towing, hauling xss, etc) then see if anything in the stock realm meets your requirements, if not then it just comes back to comparison price between new (like from summit, or mod max) or rebuilt to be bulletproof.
It sounds like you have made up your mind already on buying a pre-built pre-modified trans for your rig. I think that's cool as hell.

if you tell us what kind of trans you have, it will help us narrow down your possible upgrade options, if your truck hasn't changed hands a lot before you got it, you can probably use and trust the door sticker to get the trans code. It will likely be underneath the letters TR. use this if you need a visual helper

1. Exterior Paint Code
2. Region Code (not listed)
3. Domestic Special Order Code (not listed)
4. Wheelbase Code
5. Brake Code
6. Interior Trim Code
7. Tape/Paint Pinstripe Code
8. Radio Code
9. Axle Code
10. Transmission Code
11. Spring Code

(credit to SHOTGUN at f-150forum.com for the above picture and key)

you can also use your VIN to acquire the same information.

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Monster transmissions. These guys correct all the weak points of a trans and offer a warranty.

OP
OP
T

Tommy695

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for takin so long but the expo is a 97 eddie bauer 4x4 and the trans code on the door sticker is E. Haven't looked it up or anything so I don't no what it stands for. Was just tryin to see what would be best as far as rebuilding or buyin a new one.

OP
OP
T

Tommy695

Reaction score
Ok so I just found out that it has the 4R100 trans so I'll probly be rebuilding. Thanks for the help.

dj_mindframe_99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think a rebuild and a mild shift kit would be excellent for that trans. I had mine done not long ago and that's the option I went with
the total cost was just over $1,800 (in Michigan)
I also recommend using a full synthetic fluid also, since it's unlikely to be changed again during its life. the extra cost for the fluid is WAY cheaper than the cost of a flush/fill, or another rebuild. it's cheap insurance.