Warming Chime randomly sounds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000GM

Reaction score
Our 2011 Expedition recently began having an issue where the warning chime (the one that sounds if a door or rear hatch is open, or your washer fluid is low, etc) but when it does, there is no message in the info display, and no dash idiot lights lit up.

Sometimes it will do it 2-3 times within several minutes, and then it will not happen again for days. I made an appointment with the dealer (also needs parking brake adjusted, and it has a very harsh downshift from 2-1 when creeping along, and sometimes there feels like there's a misfire) but the service guy said its going to be extremely hard to diagnose. So we might have to just live with this annoyance.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One thing to try is to just put some WD-40 in each of the door latches. I doubt that the door sensors are sticking on a truck that is only a year or so old (or if they even use mechanical sensors like they did on the 1st gens), but it doesn't hurt to try. My dome lights used to stay on as well as my door ajar light because one of the door sensors was sticking. WD-40 fixed the problem and hasn't happened since, just something to try.

OP
OP
2000GM

2000GM

Reaction score
Yeah I'm thinking chasing the door switches is a good place to start. We had it at the dealership all day today but of course, just as I knew would happen, they couldn't reproduce it.

However, when my wife was driving it home, the chime happened. It was the first time it has happened to her at night, and she was able to see that the dome lights lit up for a few seconds while the chime was on. A door being open is the only thing I can think of that would do both (make the chime and turn on the dome light) so it may very well have something to do with a door switch.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as fordandpolaris stated check the doors. In my dads ranger the chime would always stay on when door was open and sometimes when he drove. it turned out to be a loose wire in the door latch. took a couple years to find someone who knew what was happening. Everyone else said they would have to "chase" the problem.

OP
OP
2000GM

2000GM

Reaction score
UPDATE: We took it back to the dealership a couple of weeks ago. They replaced the rear tailgate latch. She told me there was a TSB out for this exact issue. I couldn't find anything online about it, and nobody here seems to have had this issue, so I'm surprised she said there was one. Maybe she was mistaken...either way, the issue is gone and wifey is a happy Expedition pilot again.

We also complained about the sometimes very harsh clunk during a coasting 2-1downshift, which I knew there was a TSB for, and that was performed. That TSB must have fixed other small things as well that we didn't notice were wrong because they were already there when we bought it. It accelerates smoother and more effortlessly, due to the transmission shift points seeming to be more "normal" than they were before. It always kind of felt to me (in the few months since we bought it with 27,000 miles on it) like the transmission was kind of confused, and along with that (and maybe because of it) that the E-throttle inputs just weren't what my foot was telling it to do. Kind of hard to explain, but now it drives like a different truck.