Weak Power Locks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone else have an issue with their power locks? I.E. not fully unlocking (or unlocking at all) when hitting either the remote button or the internal unlock switch?

Sometimes have to hit unlock a few times, others I have to hit lock then unlock to get them to function.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here. It's mostly my front passenger door. I'll unlock the doors but that one won't come up all the way to actually unlock the door.

Probably just need some WD-40 shot in there.

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where are you spraying? Just down the "shaft" where the manual pull is, or is there someplace under the door panel that I should look at?

Reaction score
I have this issue ALOT!

The actual key lock in the drivers door doesnt work, so if you use the button code it sometimes will start to come up and acts like it gets stuck and then goes back down, but I assume at this point the car "thinks" its unlocked because the button code wont work again. The remote I think needs new batteries, its an aftermarket unlock / remote start setup and doesnt unlock much when I attempt it, so i get stuck having to climb in from the hatch, not bad when I'm alone, but when we have the kids with us, or its pouring down rain (like saturday ) then it sucks haha.

Not looked at replacing the door lock yet (new door?) but it seems like to me that the pull lock is slightly twisted and I think this causes it to get stuck. It will work right for weeks, and then mess up a few times, and then go back to working with no issues.

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, just wanted to post a follow-up.

When I bought the truck, I also bought an aftermarket warranty with it. Figured I'd see what the dealer thought of the issue.

They've replaced 3 of the 4 door lock actuators, and are replacing the 4th on Tuesday (didn't have the 4th in stock).

Already, I see a massive improvement.

Reaction score
Subscribed!
o.png

Reaction score
awesome, ty for the info, mines about to drive me crazy, its a 50/50 shot it will unlock the door and if it dont, i have to crawl in through the hatch like a chubby ninja, haha.

OP
OP
kythri

kythri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All are installed, major improvement. Good, solid lock/unlock actuation, very firm, no slop.

Dealer prices are pretty expensive, but it looks like the actuators are pretty cheap on Rock Auto or other sites. Don't know what labor entails, but I can't imagine it would be all that bad. I only went to the dealer because it was essentially free under warranty coverage.