weird rear a/c question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

expydaddy

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just finished charging my a/c. What a pain because of the placement of the port, but I digress. While I was charging it I turned the front ac and rear ac both on high while charging. When I was done I noticed that the rear ac blows cold on all of the settings except for the second setting? What would cause this? Also anyone know how to change the lightbulb in the overhead console? The display is half dark. Thanks for all of your help.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm assuming you mean the rear control 2nd setting of the fan speed. Is the fan running at that setting? If not you need to check the blower motor resistor and fan control switch.
Not sure but I don't think the display has a bulb, voltage varies the brightness.

OP
OP
E

expydaddy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply stamp. Yes the fan is blowing at this speed. The speed also increases at each setting, i.e. spped one low, speed 2 higher etc. all the way to position 4. It just seems weird that the a/c will blow cold on all of the other settings except the second.

I should have mentioned that I do not have the factory trip computer. one of the lights behind the blend knob on the rear heat/ac controls burn out. I was just wondering how to take it apart and change the bulb. My Haynes doesn't cover this in the body section.

Thanks for your feedback.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the front air remains cold when you set the rear fan speed to #2 that indicates a problem with the controls for the rear only.

Looking at my wiring manual, there are 3 solid state controls for the rear air.
1) A/C Mode Actuator
2) A/C Blend Actuator
3) A/C Control Module

All are located behind left rear panel, driver side, front to rear, in the order posted. I'd pull the cover and watch what happens as you change settings.
Probably not #1 or #2. If you have any decent junk yards around I'd grab #3 and take a chance if the price was right.

Usually the covers pull off and expose the screws that hold the controls on. After removing the control it should be a simple bulb change.

Last edited:

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
position two on my '97 is "Rear Control", thus if the rear is not on, it won't work as if others sitting back there. Is that the case for you perhaps? Sure you checked this, but passing on how mine operates & a pic.

PanHandler.

Attachments

• P3300076.jpg
    P3300076.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 84

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^^^^ Make sure both the front controls and the rear controls are set on cold. When the front controls are set to fan speed 2 on second gens, the rear controls actually have full control over the temp and fan settings. Not sure if its the same for 1st gens.

OP
OP
E

expydaddy

Reaction score
On the picture of the rear hvac controls(sorry I forgot who posted them as I write this) how do I remove just the blend/heat/fan section plastic? I have a light burnt out behind the blend knob.

As for "position two on my '97 is "Rear Control", thus if the rear is not on, it won't work as if others sitting back there. Is that the case for you perhaps? Sure you checked this, but passing on how mine operates & a pic."

I am not too sure what you mean by this?

Thanks for all of the replies and help. Keep 'em coming.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As for "position two on my '97 is "Rear Control", thus if the rear is not on, it won't work as if others sitting back there. Is that the case for you perhaps? Sure you checked this, but passing on how mine operates & a pic."

I am not too sure what you mean by this?

Thanks for all of the replies and help. Keep 'em coming.

There are two ways for the rear to operate. One is by using the front controls. One is by using the rear controls. Generally, you do everything with the front controls. Front controls can override the rear controls. If you want to allow passengers in the rear to control their A/C or Heat themselves, you position the front dial at the 2nd position labeled "rear" (or something like that).

When the front control is set to the 2nd position, or rear, use the controls in the rear to set your a/c or heat. They can also be set in the off position. If that's the case, then putting the front control to rear, nothing will be working in the back.

Does that help you understand the system better?

hortonguy

Reaction score
to remove the control head you just pull it down it is held in place with metal style push clips then you can change your bulb