Weird starting issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ZombieSoldier

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok so my code that was triggereed (can't remember actual code number) but was number 8 cylinder misfire detected. Rob used this scanner called torq. Really cool it was the scanner it's self and an app on his phone that he had to download on his phone. Pretty awesome! I want it!

Anyways $27.42 for a spark plug from the dealership with tax... Awaiting for a coil to show up tomorrow which was another $76.92 uggh

OP
OP
ZombieSoldier

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha I'm sure my day will come. So as soon as the coil comes in I'm a change that sum-a-bish and see if it cures the problems.

Reaction score
did you ever get that p0453 before you changed your fuel pump? Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0453 indicates that Self-Test has detected a fuel tank pressure sensor (FTP) circuit input above the maximum limit.

Possible causes:

- FTP open.
- FTP short to VREF or VPWR.
- VREF shorted to VPWR.
- SIG RTN open.
- Damaged FTP sensor.
- Damaged PCM.

The FTP is located on top of the fuel tank. To replace it, the the Ford Manual states as follows:

1. Remove the fuel tank.

CAUTION: The fuel tank pressure sensor must be disengaged from the fuel tank before it can be removed. Failure to do so can cause damage to the fuel tank pressure sensor or the fuel tank.

2. Remove the fuel tank pressure sensor.
- Disconnect the electrical connector.
- Press down and rotate the fuel tank pressure sensor counterclockwise and remove it from the fuel tank.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you ever get that p0453 before you changed your fuel pump? Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0453 indicates that Self-Test has detected a fuel tank pressure sensor (FTP) circuit input above the maximum limit.

Possible causes:

- FTP open.
- FTP short to VREF or VPWR.
- VREF shorted to VPWR.
- SIG RTN open.
- Damaged FTP sensor.
- Damaged PCM.

The FTP is located on top of the fuel tank. To replace it, the the Ford Manual states as follows:

1. Remove the fuel tank.

CAUTION: The fuel tank pressure sensor must be disengaged from the fuel tank before it can be removed. Failure to do so can cause damage to the fuel tank pressure sensor or the fuel tank.

2. Remove the fuel tank pressure sensor.
- Disconnect the electrical connector.
- Press down and rotate the fuel tank pressure sensor counterclockwise and remove it from the fuel tank.

i didnt have this before the install...would the fuel reset button do anything? yo my knowledge we just started undoing stuff...new fuel pump...hate to drop the tank again...any pic of the FTP? i remember the 2 lines to the tank and then the pump...fuel lines...2 connectors...and the hoses...2 lines at the rear of the tank...

so what can happen if i wait on this...

OP
OP
ZombieSoldier

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So after reading the issues with the spark plugs, I am going to replace the coil before going home, then I will worry about replacing the plug..

Funny thing, I was sitting here thinking about when this issue started and it was when I was half way through a tank of fuel with the Lucas fuel additive dumped into it... Hmmm

OP
OP
ZombieSoldier

ZombieSoldier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok more thinking.... It actually developed when I replaced the air filter. So I went out and looked at this. Think I figured something out here. The air filter goes on behind this little trap door on the intake plenum. That door seems very loose and doesn't seal well.

Engines need a certain amount of vacuum in order for it to start. I am wondering if this door is causing a small enough leak of vacuum that it is giving me this starting issue.

On another note. When I took the filter out, the side of that box that is post filter is COVERED in dust and grime. I think these oem filter boxes don't seal well, similar to the intakes on the 7.3 powerstrokes. Guess I better get cracking on building a new intake for it.... Ugggh

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlself