Well I'll make sure the old oil filter gasket comes off next time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Club Expo

Reaction score
I have been changing oil my entire life on personal vehicles of mine and my father's and I have never had this happen, the best part was I redid this oil change and it happened again so three oil changes later I find out that there's a little piece of rubber stuck to the block

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I have been changing oil my entire life on personal vehicles of mine and my father's and I have never had this happen, the best part was I redid this oil change and it happened again so three oil changes later I find out that there's a little piece of rubber stuck to the block
I use transmission fluid on filter gasket. I read about this trick, years ago. It has something in it, that prevents gasket from drying out and sticking to block. Do not feel bad. Ford engineers, put filter in a stupid, blind spot. Oil drips all over the place and makes a mess. I always check old filter, for gasket and wipe down engine mounting surface. HAND TIGHTEN ONLY.

poorboy1964

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OH man that sucks, I always check filter for gasket also but a piece I can see missing that easy. I miss the days of oil filters being straight up and down on the bottom so easy to see and get to. Every oil change I want to find the engineer that did this to us and ____________ well I better not finish that thought.

OP
OP
C

Club Expo

Reaction score
Man I feel less dumb now ! After the picture taken., I got under it and was able to get a full turn on it , by hand , so I was thinking well I GUESS I didn't tighten it. Then it did it again . It was a terrible thing to go through to say the least

OP
OP
C

Club Expo

Reaction score
Whats up with the oil filter relocation kits.? I've seen an expedition that had the filter behind the front bumper., can't say I like that spot due to mud and rocks . But I'm interested if you could move it to say the frame rail or something.. I must say I've grown up in a Chevy family , and I LOVE this expedition , but this oil filter placement is ridiculous

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Whats up with the oil filter relocation kits.? I've seen an expedition that had the filter behind the front bumper., can't say I like that spot due to mud and rocks . But I'm interested if you could move it to say the frame rail or something.. I must say I've grown up in a Chevy family , and I LOVE this expedition , but this oil filter placement is ridiculous
I saw a 1997 in the wrecking yard, that had one. It looked factory, not sure. The filter was between engine and radiator, near the frame. My filter is directly above front diff. at 90 degree mount. First start after oil change, filter is dry. A bottom mount, relocation, would allow oil to be added to new filter. The Saturn SL1 oil filter famously, was one of the worst. It was on back of engine. Even in the air was hard to get at.

poorboy1964

Full Access Members
Reaction score
they did come factory for one year I've heard???
I've looked at the relocation kits they have good reviews and are on my wish list I off road a lot and wouldn't hesitate to put one on just haven't been able to justify the money maybe one more oil change LOL