WHAAA ^&^%#! brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just gave some TLC to my expy, deepcleaned it, new COP's, new tierod ends, new fuel and filter, new oil and filter, new tires, new brake pads.

And today, luckely I was driving because normalyy the wife drives it, and a smell like burning rubber or some kind, I knew immidiatly what it was , stopped en saw smoke from my left wheel, it was very hot.

One of the pistons was stuck in the caliper.
I disassembled it and the rubbers were torn.
Sprayed a lot of 6 in 1 to let it go smooth again and I already know what I'm doing this weekend.......
Overhauling the calipers!

Anyone tips and trics, got the workshop manual here and did some small cars before.

Alex

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i wouldnt re build the calipers as unloaded calipers are fairly cheap and no reason to risk you or your family just my opinion

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a loaded caliper comes with brake pads and all hardware an unloaded caliper is only the caliper and brass washers for the brake hose

2blackfordrides

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotta agree with kwt2000, ur family is def not worth the risk, buy new caliper its only about 50bux from local auto parts place....i didnt realize til i stepped on the brake hard and only the drivers side grabbed and tried to pull me into on coming traffic.... I would also check when u buy the caliper that it comes with the hardware kit( pad slides, new caliper bolts, crush washers) one place i bought one from it was seperate.... They are pretty strait forward... Unless u are replacing the rotor cuz mine heated up so bad it was almost welded on.... I tried hammering on it with a sledge and just destroyed the rotor and broke it apart.... But i found the best way if their stuck on is to buy bigger hex bolts with nuts on them and slide them thru the where the caliper bracket would be and going back and forth between the two bolts force the rotor off with tightening the bolts....worked like a charm.... Just figured i would put in my experience....

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with replacing the calipers vs. rebuild, but from my experience on prior vehicles, make sure you don't go with cheap stuff, get the better quality as it pays off in the end. Brakes are the most important piece of equipment on these heavy SUV's so spend the money wisely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know what you're saying but I'm on a budget here.

And then the next problem.
There are NO calipers or repairkits on the Island!!!:mad:

Ordering them takes about 3/4 weeks en the price for one caliper, the cheap one is $257,-:eek:
Ordering myself is difficult because the webshops I found don't ship international or to NAPO.

firts thing I'm gonna do tomorrow is to be sure that they work again and look again at the possibilities.
The wife is driving the VW right now and I'm using the Expy.

At a local garage they told me to disassemble, grind and put in the pistons, it should be good for the next few months/year and don't worry about the dustcap.
But then again, the "fix" cars under a tree and only replace things when they are totally wrecked.

Luckely the max speed I drive is 35 mph.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you tried looking through ebay. Some sellers will ship international.

Also, tascaparts.com ships internationally, I believe, though they charge a core charge if you're buying the whole assembly. They do have overhaul kits, though not sure what that includes.