What’s This Plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if this is helpful... but I just looked at mine and think I found the same connector... took a pic of where it goes. Do you have a lose connector floating around in there? Or does your Expy not have these parts of the harness? Seems to go into the main harness but also appears to go to this other connector... hard to tell if it's the same wire or a different one.

File_003.jpeg

File_001.jpeg

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to be clear: I am not a mechanic and am new to the Expedition world. Someone gave me a 2001 5.4 and I love driving that boat. Having my own fuel pump issues right now, so i am learning. I am just hanging my hat on the assumption that that is a unique looking connector and aren't used for anything but the oxygen sensor. That being said: your connector is female, so typically in electronics that would mean it has the voltage on it. That makes me assume it is coming from the pcm side (not the sensor) and providing the voltage that is fed to the variable resistor in the sensor itself. The connector from the sensor would be the male counterpart to that connector. That's my guess. Hope i am not sending you on a wild goose chase.

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nope no air suspension.

The mystery continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If no air suspension that’s it the compressor is under the wiper fluid. Ford because they make so many cars has wire harness pre made if something does not apply they just don’t hook up. A friend told me they added turn single mirrors because had the harness for it just no mirror. If you don’t have but want odds are it’s there already

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you check the color of the wires going to that connector

Let me know if they are black, pink, gray/red and light green/red

Gray/red means a gray wire with a red stripe
same for light green wire with a red stripe

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just checked my rig 03 Expedition and I have the same connector and it is just hanging down..
So maybe it's for the air ride compressor for the ones that was equipped and if not Ford just let it hang.. idk

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Rich_007

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought by the clocking on the tabs it would be easy to identify. Still cant say for sure.
Here is a link to a catalog with pics of ford connectors, then at the end of the doc is a chart listing what the connector is used for.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/pubs/content/connectors/images/connectorcatalog.pdf

My 01 is in the shop getting a fuel pump, as soon as I get it back I will look to see if that plug is there.
I tried to just upload the pdf, but it is almost 5 mb and the site said no.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sticking to my story (until proven wrong, haha). That's a oxygen sensor connector. Check your sensor and see where the wire goes? It should be running richer if demated. Don't know about throwing any codes.

View attachment 23083 ]
You’d get a multitude of codes and drivability problems if an oxygen sensor was unplugged, especially the pre-cat sensor. If both, it would just never leave open loop, but just one would send the computer into a tail spin.

I don’t have a service manual for that generation but it would make far more sense for that to be for the air suspension. The compressor would go right there, and they often don’t change the main harness much between trim levels, too expensive to maintain tooling and processes for different ones. They also reuse the same connectors in many different places. For example, the compressor connector on the 3rd gen (that I do have a service manual for) shows that the same connector pigtail is used for the air suspension compressor, the engine fans, and the 4-pin towing harness.