What could cause gas smell on 03

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtrider

Reaction score
I have an 03 expedition with about 58K miles. There is a pretty strong smell of gas outside the vehicle when I park it. Way more than anything normal and this just started happening in the last couple weeks. In fact I was idling for 5-10 min yesterday and it was strong enough to smell in the cab. No mpg drop. Runs just fine same as before. What should I check?

Also, I saw some people posting elsewhere on the 05 having injectors that stuck open and caused hydrolock. Does this affect the 03 as well? Just wondering what damage I could do using it this way. I think I run the risk of ruining the cat if it is a bad o2 sensor right?

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a bad 02 will throw a code.... check your gas cap first if thats not it you could have a large evap leak or small gas leak some where

OP
OP
D

dirtrider

Reaction score
How do you know if a gas cap is bad? Just test a new one?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine does the gas smell every so often.

Always wondered what it was.... I always assumed it was my driving causing the gas to slosh around.