what differentials do i have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

3 NAILS 1 CROSS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how do i find what kind and size of differentials i have in my 01 4x4 5.4l. cant seem to find it on this world wide web! need to know so i can buy and change the gears to adjust to new tires.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the drivers door there will be a sticker with a bar code - its the one that has the front/rear recommended tire pressures on it. This is called the Vehicle Certification (CV) label.
On the bottom there will be a bunch of numbers underneath some abbreviated labels, one of which will be "axle".

The codes will be:

19 — 3.55, non-limited slip (Expedition/Navigator).

17 — 3.31, non-limited slip (Expedition/Navigator).

H9 — 3.55, limited slip (Expedition/Navigator).

H7 — 3.31, limited slip (Expedition/Navigator).

H6 — 3.73, limited slip (Expedition/Navigator).

Now this came from my '98 CD manual. Yours may be different.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP

3 NAILS 1 CROSS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey rwinch thanks but i altready know that i have 3.55 , i need to know if the differentials are 8.8 or somthing else .

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, this is an easy one as well.

Look on the differential itself. There will be a little metal tag that is on one of the diff cover bolts. The second number from the left should be the ring gear size - either 8.8 or 9.75.

NoMo

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the following is true (might save some crawling around on the ground):

All with 5.4L engine have the 9.75" rear
All with 4.6L engine have the 8.8" rear

OP
OP

3 NAILS 1 CROSS

Full Access Members
Reaction score
rwich told me true , i have a 9.75 in the rear and an 8.8 in the front. thanks guys <><