What do you think about this color combo for 2012?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwen

Reaction score
This is why I googled and found this forum. I'm buying my first expedition in the next week,or two. I am buying a fully loaded EL King Ranch with 20 in wheels. I had chose Tuxedo Black, but after seeing it in person I've changed my mind. I love the way this color looks with the King Ranch seats. I'm talking to two different dealers in an effort to get the best deal. One salesman is actually trying to talk me out of the King Ranch...he says the leather doesn't hold up and I have four kids. I'm not sure I'm going to be talked out of it though. I've read the King Ranch leather has gotten better about not fading as much over the years. I do like this color with those seats!!

OP
OP
Nathanialson 08

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ya I have an 08 Expy base xlt I love it but seriously wish I had an El Expy tho, my next 3rd Gen expy will for sure be an EL expy.

right now the Tuxedo black is out of commition due to a plant i think in china or one of the asian places that was heavily damaged from a Tsunami that provides a chemichal that helps make the color so you wouldn't be able to get it any way.

but ya the newer King ranch is easier to take care of because the first style king ranch leather you had to keep adding leather protectant to keep it from fading from the sun it was mor of the same type of leather that which you would find to be on a saddle back seat you put on a horse which in my opinion if taken care of the first style king ranch leather looks much better but takes some upkeep to keep it nice, below is a 2nd gen king ranch to show you the different typs of leather.

Attachments

• Z01.jpg
    Z01.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Z28.jpg
    Z28.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 41607828.jpg
    41607828.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 41608104.jpg
    41608104.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Gwen

Reaction score
Ya I have an 08 Expy base xlt I love it but seriously wish I had an El Expy tho, my next 3rd Gen expy will for sure be an EL expy.

right now the Tuxedo black is out of commition due to a plant i think in china or one of the asian places that was heavily damaged from a Tsunami that provides a chemichal that helps make the color so you wouldn't be able to get it any way.

but ya the newer King ranch is easier to take care of because the first style king ranch leather you had to keep adding leather protectant to keep it from fading from the sun it was mor of the same type of leather that which you would find to be on a saddle back seat you put on a horse which in my opinion if taken care of the first style king ranch leather looks much better but takes some upkeep to keep it nice, below is a 2nd gen king ranch to show you the different typs of leather.

That explains why the salesman couldn't find one in Tuxedo Black. There was a truck on the lot, not an Expy, that he thought was the same color...I did't care for it at all. He did find one in plain black, but I knew that I didn't have an option for plain black when I used the "build it" feature at ford.com I think I'll be happy with this color...I'm excited about getting it!!

Thanks for the pics! I can really see the difference in the new leather and the 2nd gen for sure.

OP
OP
Nathanialson 08

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no problem clad I can help

you will love the Expy as nice as my 08 is for a base KLT they have upted the newer newer 3rd gen expy and with the independent rear suspention this thing rides smoother than a Caddi does.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i like the new KR...forget that old stuff in the front seats...

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a king ranch. The sales guy is full of ****. The leather is the same used in the bentleys. The one that won't hold up is the the regular leather on the limiteds, why, well bc it's fake leather. King ranch leather is the best and will take the abuse. I had mine for two years and it looked brand new when we traded it in. It doesn't wear at all. Just add the kr conditioner which u find on eBay and ur set.

Johnny Law

Reaction score
The only thing that kept me from buying a King Ranch was the color combination. Not my taste. But I am really leary of the leather that is in my limited. In fact, the drivers side cushion seems a little under filled on the side bolster section and it is already and I mean within a month of new has began folding and creating creases. I always try to lift myself out the seat to get out but that isn't very easy on the back. I don't know if this would be a warrantee issue (I suspect not).

When it finally wears out my Expy will be out of warrantee as I hardly drive it. It sits in the heated shop waiting for summer to pull the boat.

Johnny

OP
OP
Nathanialson 08

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd go ask your dealer about it not sure my cloth seeems to hold up just fine even tho I hate the cloth material in my 08.