What drivetrain mode for chains on all 4 wheels?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chains are NOT for ice. They will act as ice skates! Chains are for snow.

Save your money and get a good set of winter tires!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I don't think the chains would add enough to be noticeable in the drivetrain if you only had them on two tires. However, chaining up all 4 means better traction, and so if you are trying to slide 2.5 tons of metal down sheer ice it would not be a bad idea to have all 4 chained.

By the same theory, 4L is kind of the Expedition's crawler gear, so I might use that on the hills going up and down just to try and keep everything spinning at low speed. That's just me though. Others may feel differently.

I personally would only use 4 low as a crawler gear or in conditions where the extra torque multiplication would be beneficial. I have used it in deep sand as it puts serious drag on the motor constantly "climbing" out of it and it helps limits wheel spin.

I think 4 low on ice or snow would limit feel and spin too easily. I understand the logic about limiting wheel speed but it can shift to the higher gears rather quickly. Going down hill I might just lock it in lower gear if necessary using 4hi.

Chains are NOT for ice. They will act as ice skates! Chains are for snow.

Not commenting on design or intent but I personally found chains worked very well with ice. My theory is the relative weight per square inch on the chains is much higher vs any tire alone allowing it to dig in or break through ice. I only had limited experience with chains on my mustang on ice but it definitely helped. You could see where it dug in and actually left marks in the pavement.

That said... chains on ice covered road vs deep snow would be very uncomfortable ride and limits speed.

I would guess that studded snow tires would be best for ice but no experience with them.

Last edited:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I personally would only use 4 low as a crawler gear or in conditions where the extra torque multiplication would be beneficial. I have used it in deep sand as it puts serious drag on the motor constantly "climbing" out of it and it helps limits wheel spin.

I think 4 low on ice or snow would limit feel and spin too easily. I understand the logic about limiting wheel speed but it can shift to the higher gears rather quickly. Going down hill I might just lock it in lower gear if necessary using 4hi.

Not commenting on design or intent but I personally found chains worked very well with ice. My theory is the relative weight per square inch on the chains is much higher vs any tire alone allowing it to dig in or break through ice. I only had limited experience with chains on my mustang on ice but it definitely helped. You could see where it dug in and actually left marks in the pavement.

That said... chains on ice covered road vs deep snow would be very uncomfortable ride and limits speed.

I would guess that studded snow tires would be best for ice but no experience with them.

That's a good point about 4L. I didn't think about the torque multiplication on slippery surfaces. I have never used 4L in the winter but we also don't have much elevation change in unless you go to the SE area of the state. Bad info on my part haha.

I agree also that the chains would not serve as ice skates simply due to the design of chains themselves. The chains lay perpendicular to the direction of travel and therefore should be very good for ice. Afterall, that is the way you come to a stop (and start going again) on a pair of ice skates is by turning the blades perpendicular to the direction of travel, giving you traction and applicable force.

Last edited:

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMHO, for conditions where chains are appropriate 4Hi and chain all four wheels.

Also, shift manually to control speed and tire spin. After all, last thing you want to do is over speed your tires and throw a chain - makes a BIG mess of the body work...