What is the best oil to put in the 5.4L 3v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you guys recommend?
Synthetic or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Synthetic is better.

Not all oil is the same. Honestly do some research on a oil brand you like compare to other similar brands and go from there. UOA will back up or disprove what's really going on.

Now that I have stopped my oil leak I will start oil testing to help my exp last longer.

In my opinion the cold starts on these things are rough. Every 5.4 I have driven rattles loudly until oil pressure picks up.

JMHO

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Synthetic is better.

Not all oil is the same. Honestly do some research on a oil brand you like compare to other similar brands and go from there. UOA will back up or disprove what's really going on.

Now that I have stopped my oil leak I will start oil testing to help my exp last longer.

In my opinion the cold starts on these things are rough. Every 5.4 I have driven rattles loudly until oil pressure picks up.

JMHO

I agree 100% with the cold start thing you mentioned.... I'm planning to go 7 quarts of Mobil 1 full synthetic and a motorcraft filter for my oil change on Wednesday.....

Due to my lifters/phasers/chain/solenoids (don't know quite what is causing the noise just yet) my uncle is thinking I should to throw a bit of Lucas additive in there... Sounds like a scary idea to me

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have put about three cups in my oil. It helped a lot with start ups.

In the past I have stayed clear of oil additives. But the Lucas increased the viscosity enough to help the oil stick. My start ups are noticeably quieter.

I to am running mobile1. Even though it is not a true synthetic. Or in my opinion is not a true synthetic.

I added Lucas because I did not want to increase the oil weight at start up. But I will not know until I get back oil tests.

I am running the 10w -30 now.

Good luck. Let my know what you find in your research.

CJ

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have put about three cups in my oil. It helped a lot with start ups.

In the past I have stayed clear of oil additives. But the Lucas increased the viscosity enough to help the oil stick. My start ups are noticeably quieter.

I to am running mobile1. Even though it is not a true synthetic. Or in my opinion is not a true synthetic.

I added Lucas because I did not want to increase the oil weight at start up. But I will not know until I get back oil tests.

I am running the 10w -30 now.

Good luck. Let my know what you find in your research.

CJ

Thanks for the advice and I will! Gotta figure out what my issue is crazy shaking and knocking I hope it isn't time for a motor swap

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let clarify the extended life is a true synthetic. Regular mobile 1 is still group 3.

Good luck.

Maloburro

Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people prefer motor craft oil. I have always used Mobil 1 on my other cars. 5qt jugs of extended performance at Walmart are cheap. I like the Lucas stuff too.

xfiles67

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I use the MotorCraft Synthetic Blend, also have a bit of a "rattle" at startup, especially in the cold months, have thought about Lucas, reading that some have had success with reducing the noise I'm tempted to try it.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Guys if you use syn oil make sure you use a syn filter. Putting mobile 1 oil with motorcraft filter bypasses the point of having synthetic oil in the first place.

Fram extra guard
Mobil 1
K&N
Royal purple
Those are examples of synthetic oil filters