What is the best oil to put in the 5.4L 3v

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken Royal and Amsoil are formulated best for turbo'd cars

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be right, I'm not really sure about it personally but I am really digging this Mobil 1 it feels great I'll be driving it over 300-400 miles this weekend for the first time since I had the VCT issues so I'm sure I'll be able to speculate a bit more after that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
You might be right, I'm not really sure about it personally but I am really digging this Mobil 1 it feels great I'll be driving it over 300-400 miles this weekend for the first time since I had the VCT issues so I'm sure I'll be able to speculate a bit more after that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Next time buy the oil from Walmart in the 5 quart jug, you'll save $20 compare to anywhere else in the country

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Diesels and Turbos: Clean quality oil is a little bit more critical in those engine configurations. Amsoil and RP our high quality oils that those configurations like that is why you hear about Amsoil and RP more often in those environments, just speaks to the quality of those oils. So Amsoil and RP are great in all engines. Mobil 1 is also in the same conversation. I have just personally felt a better running engine on Amsoil

carlos08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Been using royal purple and have no complaints whatsoever. Amsoil is another top quality oil.

kansas expy

Reaction score
For what it's worth on mine which is a 2v not 3v I run amsoil 15w-40 with the bypass filter kit on it. Ford released a tech bulletin about switch 10w-30 on the 3v to cure the tapping or diesel sound with the 5.4 on start up. And it also helps keep it from burning oil as fast with the 15w-40 I haven't had any burn oil loss between changes and have pushed it out to the 25k amsoil claims. I'm afraid to go longer even though testing shows I can.

JulianOltean

Reaction score
I put 10w30 in mine she loves it, slight rattle on start up as usual but great oil pressure 60-85 psi on startup 25-35 warm idle and 40-60 driving around

JulianOltean

Reaction score
I live in northern Canada and the climate usually requests for thicker oil mine typically asks for 5w20

Maloburro

Reaction score
I used to run 15w-50 Mobil 1 in my 4.3 s10 and that motor was the strongest thing on that truck at 230000 miles. I understand newer motors need thin oil for cold but living in west coast rarely drops below freezing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FukNshT