What kind of Spare did Ford Give You?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
The problem with a cover is it just makes more salt and mud and water get trapped and causes even more rust in my climate...
that would be my concern here in Salt City

instead, on my 2014EL ... i coated it pretty well with Fluid Film. dirt sticks to that and makes it rust proof i think. will find out this fall when i take it off. its a mess and if i ever need to change a tire its going to be fugly so i have a couple pairs of gloves in the toolkit. i also greased up that cable and the holder thingy. dont want it rusting and falling off like MrTrain

On my 2003XLT. spare is resting comfortably in the garage. less weight to haul around and i only drive local with THE BEATER so i can come home and get it if i need to

Txjudge

Reaction score
You should have seen the look on my face when I crawled under our Expo today. We have a 202A XLT that came with the 20" Rims with Toyo tires. To my surprise there was a 17" steel wheel with Goodyear Wrangler tire.

Did someone pull a fast one and swap it w/o me knowing or is this standard fare?

My Raptor came with a matching full size Rim and Tire. I guess I was expecting them to atleast match the tire size and brand and maybe with a steel 20" rim?

Anywho, looking forward to seeing what you have.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
In high school we took the tires off the head coaches truck and replaced them with 4 doughnuts. It’s was hilarious. We did a lot of running the next day.
Messing with someones vehicle is a terrible 'prank'. In the 2018 owners manual, wheels and tires section(changing a road wheel), it states ' FULL SIZE DISSIMILAR SPARE" and it is for temporary use. This is not a factory mistake, Ford put them on and the manual confirms it. People need to look in the manual, before posting.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recommend putting a cheap cover on the spare. Something like on the jeeps, that covers it. They are prone to rust. FYI. My 1976 Vette had a steel rally rim as a spare, but alloy wheels. This is nothing new. My first car, a 1977 Monte Carlo had a matching Turbine II spare. My Expedition has a steel spare, but with a matching size tire. 265/70/17. It makes no sense what manufactures do. People are confusing Matching spare, to full spare.

Smaller wheel and tire is much cheaper, multiple that by the millions of vehicles they sell across the world each year.
Ford sold 1.3 million vehicles worldwide in the 4th quarter of 2019 just for fun multiple that by 4 that makes 5.2 million vehicles for the year. Maybe they had a couple quarters with not as good sales so we’ll say 5,000,000 cars for the year. Now granted not all the vehicles spares setup is the same as the Expedition but they use donuts (Mickey Mouse spares as we called them growing up). And let’s take a very small cost savings per unit and say $10 savings per unit.

5,000,000 X 10 = $50,000,000

FIFTY MILLION DOLLARS in savings for the year yet it makes no sense why manufactures do what they do what the do????

And I would go to bet unit savings is more than $10 a unit. You’re likely looking at a savings of over 100 million.
And I would go to say they did not loose very many sales because they did not have a matching spare

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Think of a a non-matching spare as a safety measure.

There are a lot of .... less informed ... drivers out there. If all vehicles had a matching spare, I guarantee a large number of folks would get a flat, rig up the spare, put the flat back under the vehicle, and never get it fixed/replaced. Until the next time they have a flat and are stranded without a spare.

A spare is just there to get you safely to wherever you can get your primary set-up fixed and no more. The fact that they give us more than a donut or a can of goo is a blessing.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If I can find a set of matching take-offs - ill be happy to break up the set for those that want a matching spare that they can rotate w/ the rest of the tires/wheels.

303AStealth.jpg

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
If I can find a set of matching take-offs - ill be happy to break up the set for those that want a matching spare that they can rotate w/ the rest of the tires/wheels.

View attachment 35489
OEM wheels have a TPMS sensor. This would open a can of worms. You need a special tool to program a new wheel.IMG_0024[1].JPG

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive done it! Ive got 2 complete sets of OEM tires/wheels (10 total) for my wrangler...and I've programed the jeep to accept all 10 tires....I rotate the tires/wheels as needed w/out additional programming.

My point is - EVERY OEM wheel/tire (since at least 2007) has TPMS sensors in them (its a federal mandate)....most folks MOVE the TPMS sensors to their 'new' wheels when they customize or upgrade from factory wheels.

w/ FORSCAN software you turn OFF THE TPMS (and reset pressure levels).

I can (and do) get good money out of the rotation of a GOOD (matching) spare tire...beats the hell out of the spare sitting under the vehicle rotting!

upload_2020-4-15_14-39-37.png

Last edited: