What oil filter do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
I've used Fram for hundreds of thousands of miles in cars, trucks and motorcycles and have never had a problem. Of the 5 current vehicles I have now, only my Mazda3 doesn't have a Fram. To each his own.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i knew a guy that was an air force mechanic...had a sweet mustang redone under the hood and his f150...he advised me that no matter what mod i do to my truck, always use MOTORCRAFT...not just your regular filter but specifically designed for ford vehicles...not like universals...(FRAM, K&N)...so thats what i do.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purolator makes the Motorcraft filters. At least for the 04-08 F150s, Frams are the ones responsible for startup noise. Something about the anti drain back valve.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Automotive Parts

I worked in automotive parts for a dealership for fourteen years. I cant tell you the hundreds of times I sold a factory oil filter to someone that was complaining about engine noise (lack of proper lubrication due to restricted oil flow). It always seem to fix the problem.

I actually was in a manufactures class and was shown 50 different filters that had been cut in half. It was very interesting to see the variations. After that I have always used the manufactures filters. What you don't see on the outside will make a difference. Even if you spend as much as 10 dollars difference for each filter and change oil 3 times a year, you'll spend 30 bucks a year. Try to pick up extended warranty that cheap. There's my 2 cents worth.

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
Our local Walmart has Motorcraft but not the FL-820S size. I have used Fram for 15 years and never had one fail, but not saying it can't happen. Anyone know who makes the filters for Ford?

I noted that Fram has a new Xtended Guard filter advertised as being designed for use with full synthetic oil, suposedly allows longer time between changes. Anyone have experience with this filter? They are $8 which is certainly more expensive but could be worth every penny if it cleans the oil better.

Since I'm changing my oil anyway, I got the Motorcraft filter, a whopping $3.67 (before my discount!). Should be good for 5hp, right?

RUFFSTUFF

Reaction score
My butt dyno says the Motorcraft filter is good for +3.75hp at 3500rpm. I'll check again tomorrow, this time with the headlights off...

OP
OP
E

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with Fram XG2 which was $9, as I stated before been using Fram for 15 years without issue. We will see how it goes, I'm using Mobil 1 full synthetic as well. Common sense would say the Fram is as good or better as the OEM (which ELVATO says is a Purolator) since Fram's existance and reputation depnds on the quality of their products. I know the "Motorcraft" OEM battery sucked, so not everything stamped with Motorcraft is great.