What Parts do I need Front End Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheMightyThor

Reaction score
I have a 2000 expedition with the squeaky creaky mattress sounding front end.. I want it to be like new... so my mechani suggested doing a total front end rebuild to be preemtive rather than change one thing at a time... I think his price is high based on parts cost so I was going to purchase the parts myself which he is cool with, but I see tons of options... He will use all Moog Parts and charge me around $900 ... I will also buy Moog but I am still hoping to save money..

so if I get the parts myself I am assuming I would need the following for each side

Upper Control Arms
Lower Ball Joints
Pitman Arm
Idler Arm
Tie Rod

Are there bushings I need to get as well ??? Also, someone told me I should get a lower control arm that is loaded with the ball joints already to save money.. I dont know,

Any help would be great !

B

bedrck46

If you go onto Moog's web site you will be able to get the part numbers.
Or check rock auto and get part numbers and prices

B

bedrck46

Since your "mechanic suggested doing a total front end rebuild" I would get back to him and find out which parts he would replace since he gave you a quote Then take that parts list and look up prices. Also ask him what would be just the charge for labor if you provide the parts. That way you will be charged for the labor for only the parts he was going to provide and any additional parts that were not in the original quote may add to the labor charge

B

bedrck46

complete lower control arm would cost approx. $140 each just the lower ball joints approx. $25 each You do the math that's prices from rock auto

mkc1962

Reaction score
You may want to add Sway bar links.

Get the best price you can from RockAuto specing MOOG or Raybestos. Then go to your local Advance Auto parts or similar and ask them to price match. They do for me every time. Even though MOOG and Raybestos carries lifetime warranty on all of that stuff, try to get Rock auto to back a warranty. They tell you to contact manufacturer. Advance or similar, walk in show reciept and faulty part and new you get.

Yes on the lower control arm by time you buy the balljoint, and both bushings then pay someone the time it takes to press all that crap out and resintall, you would probably come ahead with a complete control arm. If you were DIY maybe a diff story.

Depending on the mileage on your truck you may want to consider an entire suspension build front and back or at a minimum new shocks all around.

Dont forget the Alignment after all the work.

OP
OP
TheMightyThor

TheMightyThor

Reaction score
Already did the sway bar links when one broke and shocks are new, I'm going to look into the rear arms too. I've already got over $2000 into this truck plus the $3000 I paid for it a month ago so I'm taking it easy and slow but once the front and possibly rear suspension is done hopefully I'm done for a while

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
There are parts that are commonly overlooked, like sway bar bracket bushings that can cause creaking / knocking.

I would replace any bushings that I can with urethane versions. They perform better and last longer. (just be sure to lubricate them correctly, or you'll hear even more squeaking than you do now)