What to do with the rear audio control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iRocco

Reaction score
I replaced the factory radio this weekend with a Pioneer CD/AM/FM unit that has Bluetooth, and iPod controls. I'm really happy with the performance. The factory speakers are holding up well and it's pretty cool to have the rig just connect to my Android phone when I start the car. I have about 30 Gb of music files on my phone, so there's plenty to choose from without needed to carry a case of CDs. Plus, my kids iPhones will work with this unit either via BT or USB. Removing the CD changer also makes the console compartment that much more useful. I am wondering though, whether there's something I can do with the rear seat audio panel. Since it's pretty much useless now, I was thinking I might install a power inverter under the console and run an AC outlet to a replacement panel in that location. I also thought about a small LCD, but I think it's too low to be useful, and would probably end up with someone's foot hitting it. Has anyone else thought of some kind of custom use for that panel area?

syntaxerror

Reaction score
Id be curious on this too. I just replaced my head unit and was contemplating the options to remove/replace the rear controls. I hate having buttons that don't work >.<

It looks like there's really no real option to get the rear controls to play nice with an aftermarket head unit, at least not in the manner they did from the factory.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the inverter as well

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

syntaxerror

Reaction score
Well I got around to tearing everything apart today to check it out. It looks like the rear speakers are actually wired through the rear audio controls. If you unplug them, you lose the rear sound altogether. I'm sure you could easily rewire dedicated speaker wires to each rear door to get around this but I wanted to share that it may not be quite as "simple" as popping that rear control unit out. Now I'm off to dig around for spare parts to see what I can rig up back there (Usb/inverter/etc)

dopeysd619

Reaction score
I actually disconected it all and rewired my inverter and added wires to extend it all and replace the rear audio control with my inverter panel then hid the inverter in the center console and secured it. My rear speakers still work but it must be because when I bought my 2002 expy it already had a pioneer dvd player and a over head monitor which I also have a ps3 avi cable running from the rear of my stereo through to the center console. I will post pics up later just keep in mind I did this saving as much money as possible I already had the inverter and only had to buy the cable kit. But to me it looks good.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382230611094.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382230611094.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 408
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382230641747.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382230641747.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 366
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382230665250.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382230665250.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 326
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382230688208.jpg