what upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ffdon

Reaction score
What upgrade do you get your biggest bang for your buck if any?

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hands down a supercharger. Granted it cost a few thousand to get one (unless you find a used one on eBay) but its the most cost efficient (in my opinion) Yes you could get headers, exhaust,cams but after spending all that it will probably be close to 2k if not more and you wont have anywhere near the power you would have with a supercharger which is a bolt on part.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't super chargers require redoing the entire engine? I've been told they're stressful on the engine unless its upgraded to a heavier duty.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No they dont... They are bolt on. No internal engine parts are REQUIRED to be changed. Only thing that would be needed is a computer tune.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The stock engine is fine for moderate levels of boost on premium fuel. Heads/cam/intake mods add power but actually put more stress on the engine because you have to rev the engine higher to get that power out of it. High RPMs put more stress than the engine than the typical supercharger..... Unless you get crazy with it.......

Matt R

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with green03

135K miles on my supercharged 1997.
I tow a lot.
Drive fast.
Stock engne internals. No problems.

A performance valve body or separator plate for your trans is a good idea, IMHO, as well as a tranny cooler.

As with all things, do things right and you'll be fine. Cut corners and you can grenade your engine.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, guess I'll have to start saving up alot of money. :p

So my aluminum block 4.6 should be able to take on a supercharger?

I think I've only been able to find one kit for my model/year/engine of Expedition. :( 4k+ dollars. Not the type of cash I have lying around...

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A tune is the "program" that a Programer, like Superchips, Diablochips, and Sniper Tuning, flashes into ECU.

If you want a recommendation, I'd recommend Sniper Tuning since it lets you to customize your own tune. It lets you "upgrade" your tune with your car. For example, you could get it now and make a tune. Then when you do get a supercharger, you can make another tune to accomodate for that.

Just talk to Green03 if you want a custom tune. In my case, shifting was greatly improved.