What's heaviest oil I can use 05 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like the other members said, your masking a problem that will only get worse. According to a few owners in the past, switching to a diesel oil, and a quality filter, seemed to quiet down their engines. Stuck lifters, and failing cam sensors, and or chain tensioner are usual suspect's on your engine. If you want to experiment with a heavier oil, I wouldn't go more than 5/w40, one weight heavier. Try the diesel oil in 5w30 first.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

The T6 is a full syn and on the thinner side of the 40 weight spectrum. But I concur with you.

08T1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shell is a mixed fleet oil. So it will work good in your gas engine.

So would M1 5w-40

It will help clean the motor up nicely.

CJ

the bus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would try to determine where the tap or taps it coming from first. this can be done with a long screwdriver up to your ear. you can mask these issues or even just a quality oil change can help. I use mobil 1 5w30 and a wix filter every 5k. I have had injectors fail which makes it sound like a diesel, and I also had a cam hold down break which caused a tapping sound. long story on both of those. also 'tufoil' fixed a few things for me.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
If you use too thick oil, in modular V8, you can damage it. The cam followers work off oil pressure. If they are starved for oil at high revs, they can fall off. The engine will make noise, like you describe. I suspect you may already tried using something too thick. If follower(s) came off, they usually, can be put back on. Do you have a CEL light?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shell is a mixed fleet oil. So it will work good in your gas engine.

So would M1 5w-40

It will help clean the motor up nicely.

CJ

Double oil change (oil flush) first.... you might be surprised at the gunk that comes out.

Maybe add a flush additive like Seafoam or a Liquimoly product to oil before first drain and/or on the flush fill.

Consensus seems to be that Walmart Supertech or whatevers on sale in approximately the right weight should probably do the trick for the flush fill.

Diesel oils supposedly have better derergents.

Use a new FORD MOTORCRAFT filter each time, theyre a whopping $4 at walmart. Try to remember to prefill it with like a cup of oil before install and wet the rubber seal oring with oil as well.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I run Rotella T6 5w-40 with a Motorcraft filter and my Expy LOVES it. But, I have no ticks/knocks. I sent oil samples (3,000 miles and 7,500 miles) out for testing, waiting for results. From my experience and a quick exam at home I am positive I can go over 10k miles with this combo.

There is another thread (I started) in engine directory here. Its is a quick analysis of oils and filters. USE AN OEM MOTORCRAFT OIL FILTER! Believe it or not, it makes a difference as the filter is designed to maintain a certain pressure throughout the system. That coupled with a good quality Syn oil will give you best results.

Thread: http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/what-oil-filter-do-you-use.30956/

I have no doubt as someone who has built many engines, that the very high-end Rotela will continue to do it's job after 10K but as you know, your limiting factor is the capacity of the oil filter. The "500" Motorcraft filter is the identical unit as the Purolator and is near the very top in quality so you're working with the best.

jeff

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have no doubt as someone who has built many engines, that the very high-end Rotela will continue to do it's job after 10K but as you know, your limiting factor is the capacity of the oil filter. The "500" Motorcraft filter is the identical unit as the Purolator and is near the very top in quality so you're working with the best.

jeff

I cut the last filter open and looked it over. Surprising clean.

Mike Bryan

Reaction score
We have a 2001 Expedition since new, ran recommended oil weight till 150,000 miles, adding a can of Engine Restore every 3500 miles. As miles went up , increased oil weight to 10w 40, then when we hit 300,000 miles, I run 20w 50 Castrol in it, still runs great. It now has 360,000 on it, used a Qt between changes. I have always used Castrol, and Fram filters along with Engine Restore. As the engine accumulates miles, the clearances increase, therefore my theory says increase oil weight. We also have a 2012 King Ranch, I am using the same theory with it. It has a little over 100,000 on it, still running 5w 20 Castrol syn blend, but am using Engine Restore. I use these products in every vehicle {6] that I own, boat, has a ford 351W in it, and mowers and such. I have had no bearing failures in 30 years.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you use too thick oil, in modular V8, you can damage it. The cam followers work off oil pressure. If they are starved for oil at high revs, they can fall off. The engine will make noise, like you describe. I suspect you may already tried using something too thick. If follower(s) came off, they usually, can be put back on. Do you have a CEL light?

This should not be overlooked and is very correct. Not to mention thinner oil is needed for all the small passages in these engines.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
We have a 2001 Expedition since new, ran recommended oil weight till 150,000 miles, adding a can of Engine Restore every 3500 miles. As miles went up , increased oil weight to 10w 40, then when we hit 300,000 miles, I run 20w 50 Castrol in it, still runs great. It now has 360,000 on it, used a Qt between changes. I have always used Castrol, and Fram filters along with Engine Restore. As the engine accumulates miles, the clearances increase, therefore my theory says increase oil weight. We also have a 2012 King Ranch, I am using the same theory with it. It has a little over 100,000 on it, still running 5w 20 Castrol syn blend, but am using Engine Restore. I use these products in every vehicle {6] that I own, boat, has a ford 351W in it, and mowers and such. I have had no bearing failures in 30 years.
This is bad advice to post. Your engine has timing chains and over-head cams. 20W50 has no place in any modern engine, except Harley Davidsons or race cars. 10W40 is a 1970's oil. My lawn mover recommends 5w30.