What's the Limiting Factor???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, so to bring this back up, here is what I'm running into... We LOVE this Expedition, I like the wheels, it's loaded, doesn't have the load leveling system or a DVD though...

Cars for Sale: 2011 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 Limited in Zieglerville, PA 19492: Sport Utility Details - 331334195 - AutoTrader.com

Payload capacity is 1520 lbs...

Now, I find this one, which is still pretty loaded as above except has cloth seats vs leather, can't imagine there is too much of a weight difference there, also has either 17" or 18" wheels...

Cars for Sale: 2012 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 in Lansdale, PA 19446: Sport Utility Details - 329740120 - AutoTrader.com

However the payload on this one is 1696 lbs.

That's a 200 lb differnce, so what's the weakest link here? Is it the 20" wheels, that's the only thing I could think because of the low profile tires. Any thoughts on this or if you can get a 20" tire with a heavier sidewall to bring this rating up or if the wheels themselves just aren't as strong... And, does that 200 lbs make that big of a difference? The 3/4 suburban we looked at only had a 2051 lb payload capacity and only 100 lbs more on the hitch 900 lbs on the Exp. vs 1000 lbs on the Suburban...

It's kinda funny and aggervating asking sales folks about this number... They are giving me all kinds of stuff... :)

Oh, and that ford vin check that someone posted here, is awesome!!! Helps a ton so I don't even waste my time on Expy's that don't have the HD tow package...

Thanks...

LJ

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LJ, just curious where you are getting the payload numbers on the ones you posted.
Also, you have to remember that the GCWR is the same for all Expys at 15000lbs. All 4x4 EL's are rated the same for towing, regardless of rear axle ratio, so really the only variable is payload. Therefore if the Expy has alot of options, like in the case of the two Limiteds you posted, the payload will go down because the weight of the vehicle is higher. The other one you posted with the higher payload doesnt have a power third row. Right there I would think shaved quite a few pounds.

Matt

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Matt...

Well, I can't see a power rear seat weighing 200lbs, I may be wrong, but I just can't see it weighing that much. Also, I'm pretty sure in order to get the 8750 lb payload capacity you need to have the 3:73 gears and the HD tow package...

See the attachment where I'm getting this information from, but here is a perfect example... That sticker below is from this Expy:

Used 2011 Ford Expedition EL XLT *Ford Certified* For Sale in West Chester PA | 1FMJK1J56BEF10045

So what is it 1469 lbs...

However, this one:

Used 2011 Ford Expedition EL For Sale in Lehighton PA | Vin: 1FMJK1J54BEF39172

Has a payload capacity of 1697 lbs...

So what's the difference?

We found a trailer that is less weight that will work for us and even though I'll be close to the 15K total weight, I'm more concerned with the payload on the truck with the tounge weight of the trailer and the family inside with anything else we have in there, or eventually when the kids get older and/or want to bring a friend/friends... I'm trying to figure out the limiting factor because I don't want to bust a wheel or or a spring or something while I'm driving down the highway, doesn't seem like fun...

Additionally, here are the stickers from each vehicle, they are pretty much identical:

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMJK1J54BEF39172

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMJK1J56BEF10045

Any thoughts???

Thanks...

LJ

Attachments

• sticker2.jpg
    sticker2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Dib... You think someone (like myself) so concerned about the HD tow package, would have noticed that!!! :) I looked, but didn't notice that was an option. I thought the class IV trailer tow was the HD tow package... Need to relook at that stuff, but that throws a bit of a wrench into things...

So those links for the stickers are actually opposite of links to the vehicles, so the Expedition WITH the HD Tow Package, has the 1469 lbs payload capacity, and the one WITHOUT the HD Tow Package has the 1697 lbs payload... Hmmmm...

That's weird... I'm sure the extra HD towing compenents weigh more, but then takes away from the actual amount you can haul... Hmmmm...

Might need to really look at this bit more, and or get an Excursion or maybe a truck and have the wife follow in the Explorer with the kids and the dog!!! That might be a more pleasant ride for me anyway!!! :)

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I quickly looked like at this...

This is the one we really like...

Cars for Sale: 2011 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 Limited in Zieglerville, PA 19492: Sport Utility Details - 331334195 - AutoTrader.com

Here is the window sticker:

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMJK2A56BEF39258

Payload on this, as I mentioned way above, is 1520 - since this is the limited, I assume the HD tow package isn't an option, it's included in the Limited version of the vehicle and the wheels have nothing to do with it???

Dib52

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I quickly looked like at this...

This is the one we really like...

Here is the window sticker:

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FMJK2A56BEF39258

Payload on this, as I mentioned way above, is 1520 - since this is the limited, I assume the HD tow package isn't an option, it's included in the Limited version of the vehicle and the wheels have nothing to do with it???

Rapid spec 300a is what you need for the HD tow package to be included...you have it on this one. As far as the wheels are concerned, you will lose some interior weight capacity due to the 20's, but that's what the Limited came with. Just boils down to more unsprung weight on the 20 vs a 17 inch. This one looks like a happy medium, 1520 lbs should be plenty. 5 adults at 200 lbs still leaves you +500 for gear. Contender?!?

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rapid spec 300a is what you need for the HD tow package to be included...you have it on this one. As far as the wheels are concerned, you will lose some interior weight capacity due to the 20's, but that's what the Limited came with. Just boils down to more unsprung weight on the 20 vs a 17 inch. This one looks like a happy medium, 1520 lbs should be plenty. 5 adults at 200 lbs still leaves you +500 for gear. Contender?!?

Yeah maybe... I'm not so concerned with normal driving, more concerned with the towing part and possibly putting too much on with the trailer tounge weight and then people and gear and such. The wife wants to go look at this tomorrow so we'll see...

cherokeexj32

Reaction score
any new news?

I was just curious to see if you had any updates on your trailer quest?

I have been towing a 3000lb hybrid camper for years with my 03 XLT FX4 with no issues, and now we are really wanting to get a bigger camper in the:

28-30' length and under 6k with it loaded - really want to stick to 5500 when loaded - that is why I like a few of the aluminum built campers.

Now after reading all these posts people have me worried.