Wheel question. Rim width

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mothra

Reaction score
I coule not find an answer searching. I found some oem takeoffs i want to try on my ‘08. I known they will fit but concerned about rim width.

My factory ser is 20” rim width 8.5” 275/55/20

Set i have found is 18” rim width 7.5” 275/65/18

Any issues with the narrower rim?
My oem set is curb rashed horribly by the previous owner.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I doubt you would have much trouble going to a narrower wheel, but the backspacing and offset could definitely affect the fit.
You can Google how to measure them, compare the two sets and you'll have a better idea.

OP
OP
M

mothra

Reaction score
For reference offset is measured from the center of the wheel. So in this case a 7.5" wheel compared to a 8.5" wheel with the same offset means the 8.5" wheel is 0.5" wider on each side. The center of the wheel is the same in both cases.

The bigger question is will the ride and handling of a vehicle be negatively affected by the change to a narrower rim. Less chances for curb rash would be a plus.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Assuming these are Ford Expedition wheels they'll just bolt on and the revolutions per mile will be within three (3) revs -- I'd call that identical. More sidewall will temper the truck ride of the 20" wheels/tires.

Dates (and tread) on the tires?

-- Chuck

Johnathan M

Reaction score
Assuming the offset is the same, the Expedition won't look as good since the new wheels will be set farther in under the fender. It will definitely look less aggressive. Of course you could always get wheel spacers to make up the difference if you still wanted them set out the same. Curb rash is a matter of being careful when you park. I always set my wheels out to fill up the fender flare for a wider stance and more aggressive look, and my wife and I are just aware of it and are very careful when we park to not hit the curb. Of course, everybody has different priorities, and yours may not be the look of your vehicle. But those are just my thoughts on the issue.

Speedometer should stay the same with those specs, so that isn't an issue.