22” to 20” wheels - better for towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ACJ990

Reaction score
We just bought a slightly used 20 Limited Max, which came with the oem 22” wheels. I’ve read a lot about others moving to 20” or 18” wheels. I’m no expert at all, hence this question…

I’m not a huge fan of the 22s and have found several 20” take-offs from F-150’s and have thought about buying a set of the black ones. If you’re towing a travel trailer (which we plan on doing, 6500k lbs), is going down to a set of 20s detrimental in any way?

If this has been posted elsewhere, drop a link. Appreciate it.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More sidewall will allow for more sway, but probably not a huge deal.

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn't think the drop from 22" to 20" would be that profound for towing. Definitely can help the ride, though.

Bigger change would be making sure you've got the appropriate tires on to help out. I upgraded my 20" Limited tires to XL rated tires and the rear end is firmly planted when towing now (also did the sway ar update). Tire change out was huge to stability.

Polo08816

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More sidewall will allow for more sway, but probably not a huge deal.

More sidewall would "allow" more sway, but that sidewall flex is spread over a longer distance (taller sidewall). If you get the same amount of sidewall flex over a shorter distance, it translates to heat which is what will eventually cause the tire to fail. That's part of the reason why tires with high load capacities tend to have tall sidewalls. They also tend to have stiffer sidewalls from more plys.

If less sidewall was preferable for towing, then all the tires with high capacities have it all wrong. The guys rolling on 26s and 28s must be the REAL tire engineers.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
note that most F150 wheels will require the rear axle stubs to be trimmed off (with a sawzalll or whatever) or the dust caps won't fit in the rear wheels.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
XLT on 20" was a big improvement for towing stability. Also less puncture risk as well.

Last edited:

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have 22” summers and 18” winters. The 22s are superior for highway driving and towing since there’s less sidewall flex, less side-to-side movement. They’re a bit more planted.
The 18s are nice for city driving since they’re noticeable lighter (better acceleration and fuel economy) and much more comfortable over potholes.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 2019 with 18's and now a 2020 with 22's and I can't say I could tell a difference towing between the 18's and 22's. The 18's sure road a lot more comfortable than the 22's though. I am keeping my eyes on the classifieds for some 18's or 20's to replace my 22's.

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2019 Limited "Stealth" came with 22's, and I'm wanting all terrain tires for occasional off road adventures, so I swapped them for some new F150 18's takeoffs. Can't say anything that much about the mediocre Goodyear tires on them, but I immediately noticed the difference in the ride smoothness around town, and on the highway. The 22's were 'busy' all the time. The 18's use 35 PSI instead of the 39PSI of the 22's, and seem plenty planted, and my few short tows so far, they've done very well. In 2 weeks I'm leaving on an 8000 mile road trip, so I'll have more to say when I get back.

Before I bought this Expedition I test drove a bunch, many had 22's (one had 24's, EEEK!), and the 22's that didn't have CCDS, the ride was really awful, the CCDS made it not nearly as bad, but still harsh on rough spots, railroad tracks, etc. The 18's are just much smoother. Once I wear these Goodyears down some I'm planning on mounting BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's in 276/65R18

rando 2020 Expedition with 24's... These things rode unbelievably bad, this Expy was off a business lease, and the tire dates suggested the tires had been mounted when it was brand new... it had all kinda steering shimmy like the front end joints were hammered. Those are $2500 each Lexani wheels when I looked them up, plus I dunno what for the Neoterra 305/35ZR24 XL tires.
PXL_20230719_232503431.jpg

OP
OP
A

ACJ990

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone on the responses! I really appreciate it. I’ll let you all know what we end up doing and how everything works out.

Left Coast Geek I’ll be interested to hear how the trip went! Drive safe!