Wheel rotation squeaking question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yaanufs

Reaction score
So I have a 2003 5.4L Expedition, and it has had a squeaking front drivers side wheel for a while. It squeaks once per rotation at the same spot. I figured it was a slightly warped rotor, or some other minor brake issue.

I'd had the current set of ceramic Duralast rotors and pads on there since 2006 and about 120,000 miles, so figured I'd just change out the full set of 4 rotors and pads with new ceramic Duralast stuff. I did that this weekend, but the single squeak during wheel rotation is still there. So it wasn't a problem with the existing rotor after all.

When I had the wheel off, and the old brakes still on I could rotate the hub and hear the single squeak at the same point of each rotation.
When I had the rotor off I could rotate just the hub on its on and there was no squeak. So I thought for sure it was a rotor problem.

Due to time I didn't spend a lot of time on the caliper assembly itself. I had a bad one in the rear and had to replace that one, but then just checked for the obvious stuff on the front one. Cracked rubber boot, pistons moved back into the caliper easily, etc.

I'm now going to go back in and pull the caliper and double check it is ok. any other suggestions? Wheel hub?

OP
OP
Y

yaanufs

Reaction score
Problem solved

Took the offending wheel off and discovered the clip that hold the pads in place was a little warped (had to fight it to get it back on, so it must have warped a little too much then) and was rubbing on the inside of the wheel.

Anyway, I have another question if anyone is still reading.

I think the brakes are a little too spongy. Which suggests air in the lines, or perhaps the rubber brakes lines are just starting to show their age (2003).

Would it be normal to replace the brake lines on a vehicle this old? Should I just do it anyway?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe just bleed them? I'd start there.

Brake fluid really should be part of a regular maintenance routine- but everyone overlooks it.

OP
OP
Y

yaanufs

Reaction score
Maybe just bleed them? I'd start there.

Brake fluid really should be part of a regular maintenance routine- but everyone overlooks it.

Agreed. I flush the brake fluid every 2-3 years on my vehicles. It's simple when you get a buddy, or son, to help you do it.

I just did a flush when I changed the rotors, pads and rear caliper. I could have got air in the system when I changed the caliper for sure. But I bled them a lot after the caliper change, with no trace of bubbles.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the spongy brakes go, I would replace all 4 brake hoses, do a quick bleed to get you by and have a shop power bleed them asap. There is a potential for 12 year old rubber hoses to begin to collapse, then if you already had a shop bleed the brakes you're out the cost of the service and still need to replace lines. I would also replace all brake hardware, front and rear, before you do anything. The cheap stuff from ebay works the same as any.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition