Where can I find space for an amp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Papabambam

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here and am loving the wealth of information on these forums. Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

I have a 2012 Limited Expedition, pretty loaded, and was looking to improve the sound a bit. We use it as a family car, so I can't step on the wifey's toes with anything crazy and space-hogging. Here was my plan:

I plan to replace the door speakers, and add a 10" sub and box (already own this) and an amp (already own this, also) which splits power between the sub and all door speakers. I had this setup in my F-150 before trading it in, and it sounded great. I'd like to mount a terminal in the cargo space to easily remove the sub when the cargo space is needed. I plan to leave the factory sub and amp as is. I brought the stuff to my local car audio guy, and he could not find a place for my amp. I am really not convinced that he tried. I agree the available space for it doesn't easily manifest itself, but there MUST be a pocket or something somewhere behind the plastic paneling that could house the amp....or somewhere else. I really like the amp, it's REALLY clean....besides the fact that I already own it. It doesn't quite fit in the jack bay (which probably isn't ventilated enough anyway). Besides, then I'd have to find a spot for the jack. The dimensions of the amp are

14.2" L x 7.6" W x 2.4" H

Not that big, right? :confused: Just thought I'd ask you guys before I get to tearing things apart!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Underneath 2nd row seats unless the amp is too big…I think 3 of us put our amps in the panel where the factory sub woofer is…if u do this u will need a fan or 2 to keep it cool…as u can see I took out my factory sub

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362344382.950099.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362344410.548627.jpg

Holy Roller Christian Car Club (HRC3) National Member...

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have mine under my second row seat. It's around 9.75"W x 2.43"H x 9.56"D.

The only con for me is I can't completely lay the seat all the way down to make it flat, which isn't usually much of an issue.

OP
OP
P

Papabambam

Reaction score
Freeway: I love what you've done with your ride, inside and out. I'm trying to keep it "wife friendly", and she wants the factory sub to stay since we're making the 10" sub in the cargo space removable.

Elvato: That's actually a possible option, since there would be the rare occasion that we need the second row to lay flat. We have buckets, though....do you have a bench?

So, I guess the possibility of space somewhere behind all that plastic paneling is probably wishful thinking? Thanks for the responses anyway, guys.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freeway: I love what you've done with your ride, inside and out. I'm trying to keep it "wife friendly", and she wants the factory sub to stay since we're making the 10" sub in the cargo space removable..

thanks...still work in progress...long way from where i want it

So, I guess the possibility of space somewhere behind all that plastic paneling is probably wishful thinking? Thanks for the responses anyway, guys.

no...there may still be room...theres still space in there to put a amp pending on size...if you do...buy fans to install in there as well cuz it will over heat due to no air circulation...i had that prob while trying to find the right/best fan...works great...no probs driving from VA to FLA

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn't come up with anywhere that offered enough room and hid the amplifier well enough but allowed me to continue using the vehicle the way it was meant to. I ended up stuffing my HD900/5 into the dash under the radio. I left the factory subwoofer in place with plans on building a new box in its place, but ordered a JL stealthbox instead.

These 3rd gens are crazy packed with all of the modules. The HD900/5 is probably the largest amplifier you can fit in the dash. Mine was a tight fit.

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can see in this picture how it finally sits... thankfully I could make it work like this or getting to the adjustments panel would be a you know what.
20130208_004757.jpg

These are from when I was test fitting right before finally deciding this is where it was gonna stay.
IMG_20120914_161007-1.jpg
IMG_20120914_161015.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker