Where do I find a NEW fuel tank?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattP1976

Reaction score
My fuel tank is leaking at the front fitting where the evap hose connects to the tank. Went to the wrecking yard and found another tank and of course, it's leaking in the same place. Ford does not make that tank anymore. I'd like to replace it with a new piece. Has anyone had any luck finding a replacement? Or may be retrofitting a newer tank that still works with the emission control stuff? It seems that the 05 up second gen tank is different than the 03-04 tank.

Help!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought O'Reilly and others were selling replacement tanks now.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got mine from a salvage yard for a hundred bucks and had really good luck with it. The local Ford dealer told me they could get me one last year but it was $1000 new.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hard to believe there aren't aftermarket ones really available in plastic or in steel for that matter. But I have had great luck using J-B Weld even on the red plastic gas tanks that have quite a rough finish to them. I always scratch up the plastic usually with a sharp razor blade with some crosshatch patterns for extra grip then I use carb cleaner to really etch into the plastic a little bit.
Seal it off nicely with J-B Weld. I prefer regular as opposed to quick. Then after that dries overnight use the ultra RTV to go over top of it and around the edges. I have sealed gas tanks like this and even the plastic intake on the 4.6 that cracks on he coolant crossover. No leaks whatsoever.​

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd keep an eye out on eBay and Craigslist Brian. Something will pop. I agree with Toby, if your gonna plastic weld it, stay with the regular JB weld. I tried the quick stuff, junk! Prep is everything. Any repair, needs a good grinding/ sanding to give glue or paint tooth to bite into substrate. Where the hell you been Brian! We need you out here.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk