Where do you mount your brake controller?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kistler

Reaction score
The Ford dealer placed mine at a really acute angle above the emergency brake and hood release levers. I really don't like it there.

I need a relatively level location; right now I have a Tekonsha Voyager--it is okay, but I'd like to get a Prodigy and mount it more in line with the directions. It seems the controller(s) should not be at an angle and at the most 70 degrees.

I am really surprised mine works at the present location/angle.

mnikisher

Reaction score
Mounting a Prodigy Brake Controller

I see that there was no response to this question back in 2003. I've just purchased a 2005 XLT with the heavy duty trailer towing option and am looking at where I can mount my Prodigy where it will not be at an acute angle. Does anyone have a good suggestion?

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I didn't mount mine at all since I use it in both trucks.

The wires are long enough that it will sit in the open part of the center console.

shov76

Reaction score
I have a 2003 EB. I also use the Prodigy controller. I didn't want to mess up my Expy with mounting a controller seeing that I only use it when towing (maybe every other weekend). What I did was remove the ashtray (throw it in center console black hole) and just sit the Prodigy in the ashtray spot. You have to use the sleeve (plastic thing) that you would normally use when you hard mount the unit. This keeps it from slopping around in the now vacant ashtray hole. I bought the tail which was preconnectorized for my Ford and keep that plugged in under the dash. When not in use, I just stuff it under the dash out of site and when I need it I pull it out. You do see the wire coming from under the dash going to the unit, but so what. It's only me and it's not there most of the time anyway. The Prodigy sits nice, works fantastic and never gave me any problem. 3,000 miles of towing my TT this year so far.

danketchpel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was thinking of installing a Prodigy controller also.

Since I haven't used one yet, I was wondering why it can't be mounted completely out of sight? Do you really need to see it?

I was thinking of mounting it underneath the dash or even under the seat.

If you need to see it during use I would do the ashtray temp. deal and setup the connectors for easy disconnect.

Any comments from people who've used them?

shov76

Reaction score
You'll always need access to the unit. There is the manual trailer brake activater? (little lever under the unit) that is used to set the unit up initially and is also used if you pick up a little sway. I haven't had to do that yet but want it accessable quickly. Best unit I've ever used.

khpony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I lined the cubby hole under the column for my 380 when we travel! Out of site but very handy.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I mounted my P3 on the lower dash near my right knee. The P3 mounting bracket has some "pivot" in the unit, and sits just a few degrees off level.

I've had no issues with the controller mounted there. The directions actually say you can mount the P3 a few degrees "off level" with no operational problems.

Marc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1