Where to install transmission temp gauge sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I want to install a transmission temp gauge and need some ideas on where to install the sensor. I have a kit from Auto Meter that will plug into the hot line to the cooler, but I'm leery about cutting the line apart to install it.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You already have one. You just need to get the data from it.

Viper74656

Reaction score
Thoughts on a solution? I’ve tried to get it through the ODB2 port with a head unit I used to have, but it didn’t give me the option.
Have you tried one of those cheap Bluetooth OBDII readers? The apps can be funky pulling data from some cars, but that would be my starting spot. I use the "Car Scanner" Android app on other cars.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know UltraGauge MX (this is what I have) and Scan Gauge can pull it. Maybe one of those BT dongles would also, but not sure.
^ That right there. I have a scanguage mounted on the dash close to the left A pillar. Unobtrusive and gives me coolant, transmission, and intake air temps along with voltage in realtime.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have an Ultragauge that reads trans temp on my 2014. I did have to program it in, with some help from the Ultraguage support team. When I originally bought it, they programmed it to read trans temp in my 2000. It’s not the same code for the 2014.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just stuck an Auto Meter sending unit in the aluminum pan I installed a long time ago at the first fluid change. The PML deep pans have a boss to drill and tap for a sending unit. I stuck the gauge over above the hood latch lever by my left knee. It's pretty useless in normal driving. But if I ever felt the tranny acting up ( I haven't...) I'd bother to look down and see what the reservoir fluid temp was just to make sure it was eating cooled fluid. The heaviest thing I tow is my 2,000 lb boat anyway. The Expy doesn't even know it's back there.