Which oil do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tred311

Reaction score
Hey all. I'm new here but have had my Expo since '01. It's a 2000 4.6 XLT w/ 103,555. I have ALWAYS done oil changes at 3000 mi. Last weekend my oil pump died and caused the motor to sieze. I just spent $4800 at Ford to get my girl back on the road. She is running great! I intend to change the oil at 1000mi.

Here's the question.....what oil/filter combo is everybody using?

Thanks a lot!

-T

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5W30 Mobile 1 (21$) with Motorcraft filter(4$).

Costs around 25$ to do the oil change :)

Change it every 5k miles, although I did go 7-10k miles one time with an Amsoil extended capacity oil filter.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mobil 1 5w30 but wait till you get 5k on the motor before switching to synthetic... the engine has to break in first....

Matt R

trdragons44

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i use quaker state 4x4 5w30 fully synthetic and fram toughguard oil filters.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think it will be necessary to change the oil every 1000 miles, especially if you plan on using synthetic oil.

If you're going to be changing it that often, go with something cheaper, like the Motorcraft oil, which is like 2$ per quart, as opposed to Mobil 1, which is like 4-5$ per quart.

Even with the Motorcraft, which is a synthetic blend (not fully synthetic), you can easily go 3000 miles without anything bad happening, maybe even 4-5000.

OP
OP
T

tred311

Reaction score
Yeah, first 1000 mile oil change, then on to a regular schedule of changing it every 3000 miles.

Get this....when I picked it up from Ford I asked the mechanic about "break-in" and he said not to worry about it. That there is no break-in period! What do yall think about that. Crazy right?
What is the recommended break-in period?

Thx!

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
just wait till you get your 1k oil change on it before you start beating on it and after your first 3k oil change you can use synthetic....

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Valvoline high mileage (red bottle) and some fram oil filter, high mileage maybe? Its in a grey and orange box ...