Which one to get 2002 or 2005 both are 4x4 eddie bauers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the chance to trade my 2002 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 164000 for a 2005 Eddie Bauer 4x4 with 122000 miles. Now my 2002 is really nice. I have the Wedgewood Blue with a sunroof,Mach audio,leather interior,265/70/17 Cooper Discovery AT tires. Interior is clean with no rips or tears. The Exterior has NO RUST. Not even the bottoms of the doors have rust. Now the hood does have a few hail dents,but that is it. I have done all of the services, transfer case fluid changed,rear axle fluid changed,transmisson fluid changed,Throttle body cleaned,new Motorcraft spark plugs,and the Air cleaner modified for better breathing. SO my 2002 really does not need anything. Just the gas to get around in.
Now the 2005 Eddie Bauer has 122000 miles. It really is a nice Expedition. It is white exterior along with the normal tailgate blistering. I have not been able to look at the front radiator support to check it for rust. Other than the tailgate the exterior is nice. The interior had the tan leather which is like new,no rips nor tears. The third row does have the power seat which is a plus for me. Now for the powertrain. As far as I can tell the OEM plugs are still in the engine! I have read a lot of horror stories about the spark plugs. And the other issue is that I have read about a leaking injector and that it wipes the motor out. I really do not want to trade if the engine is going to be wiped out by gas. SO how would I be able to check for a leaking injector??? I know FORD did do a extended warranty on the injector along with the engine both of which just went out because of the mileage. I really do like the body style and the ride of the 2nd gen,but I like the ease of being able to lift and put up to a 33in tire on the 1st gen.
So I really would like to hear your opinion on which one you think is the better of the two!!!

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would keep the one you got, u know the history of it, know that it has not been abused.. Know the maint history... My opinion... Keep yours!

OP
OP
rocketvette95

rocketvette95

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I did trade for the 2005 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4. After I drove it that afternoon,it was a knight and day differance between the two. The 2005 did have some of the issuses that have been mentioned on this forum. The transfer case motor would not engage so with a small hammer and a couple of taps from it the motor shifted like new. as for the engine it runs smooth as a dollar bill. It does have a little extra valve noise that can be heard like at a drive-thru.Trans shifts perfect,but I was disappointed when I crawled under the truck and I see what looks as a AODE light-duty transmisson. So has any people out there had any problems with the trans. As for the rest of the drive train I am really happy with it. The 5.4 3v really does have more power over the regular 2v 5.4. And I also hve seen a increase in gas miliage,mostly in town avg 16 and oprn road on flat ground looks as it should get 18 plus.
As for the interior both of them had tan leather,sunroof. But what a nice feature being able to power fold the third row seats instead of taking them out on the older models. Now both of the Expeditions are 4x4 and neither of them have the air ride so there is no issues with air bags. But I will say that the 2005 does not ride as good as the 2002,plus the way the 2002 was lifted by turning the bars was really simple. I have been looking into the Poly Spacers to install on the 2005 just to give it a little stance. I did install my 265/70/17 Cooper Discovery ATR tires on the 2005 so with that type of tread everything should be ok if I step off of the road. I did have to tap on the Transfer case motor to get it on the right track. I really do like the abilaite to switch into 2wd whereas the 2002 did not have that option.
We really do like the 2nd generation over the 1st and I know that is my opinion(everyone has on and most of the time they smell like s*&t) but the driving and handling is so much better then the 1st gen. Power is better on the 2nd gen. And alot of features that if were installed on the first gen would had propbly set the bar SO MUCH higher that even the boys from (Chevy,Dodge,Jeep,Toyota,and Nissian) would had so much of a hard time trying to keep up the options and the nicebody lines and ver nice interierors. Both my wife and I have owned Tahoes,Suburbans,Denilis,Jeeps,and a coupl of mini vans. And I will say that the 2005 Expedition fits the bill better than anything out there. The little bit of extra size and the funcutionality of both the interior and the exterior. Plus when you take and comparethe other SUVS on the market compare,weight,height,storage,how many people it can haul,plus figure the fuel mileage and also compare what can be loaded and towed all with this one vehicle I,hands down, have to say this is winner in my book

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+2 on the pics! Sounds like you are happy and that my friend is all that matters!

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Keep the 2002 in my opinion, the first gens were much more "trucky". My dad's 04 has given us some real problems, granted it is not fair to judge all vehicles in a class based on the performance of one, but really the only thing that is even remotely good about his truck is the fact that it has an option for 2H unlike the 99-02's... Just my .02

EDIT: Sorry did not see that you already made the trade. Hopefully the 05 does you right!

Last edited: