White substance under oil cap/smells

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like Joe said, no major worries at this point. Just keep an eye on things for any change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
David Simmons

David Simmons

Reaction score
thank you so much for all the suggestions! my expedition has 265,254 miles @1955 moose .. is that true that if i put a drop of oil on hot exhaust if it sizzles coolant is present? i think it would do that for water too and not just coolant? thanks

OP
OP
David Simmons

David Simmons

Reaction score
Again idk if I should change fluids and keep an eye out or if that drip means head gasket just want to be safe.. It is about 30° out I will let it warm up and see if it stops

OP
OP
David Simmons

David Simmons

Reaction score
Ok since getting it to the bottom line in good range the drip stopped and the smoke from exhaust stopped makes me think it was just that thanks all for answers

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Condensation or drip is normal for any water cooled vehicle out tailpipe during warmup. Even brand new vehicles will do that. If it continues 15-20 minutes later, after complete warmup to operating temperature, then theirs reason for concern. If that was the case you would have mixing of coolant into oil, and combustion chambers of cylinders/ heads, followed by billowing white smoke. You still might want to change oil/ filter. Clean oil is always a good thing to get longevity out of your engine.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The condensation from the tail pipe is just the same as being able to see your breath on a cold day. There's cool/wet air trapped in the exhaust/muffler and then hot air from the engine comes out and the temperature change causes the condensation to locally form. Once the exhaust system warms up, the condensation should go away. It has something to do with the local dew point temperature as well.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We get the same scenario here in San Francisco. The ocean water is cold, about 50 degrees, in the summer months the air above the water is much warmer causing our fog to roll inland. At least that's how it was explained to me years back.