Why did you choose an Expedition over Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dave88LX

Dave88LX

Reaction score
the one thing that really sticks out on the expedition is that the third row seats fold flat with a push of a button or manually. i have seen Tahoe's and suburban's and the third row seats don't do that you either have to fold them up or you have to remove them to get that extra space in the trunk

That is a really nice feature to have. I do have a Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab w/ a cap for any hauling type duties, so at least for me (wife), that wouldn't be a consideration in this decision.

EDIT: BBL...got to do some things.

P1150653.jpg

Last edited:

TactialMonkey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why not just ditch the Mazda and the Dodge and get a Excursion with a 7.3L and if you really want to go all out do a 5 speed swap hahaha but I chose my expedition because it was built on top of an F150 short box standard cab frame and the 5.4L and the 4406 T caseas well as the 8.8" front diff and 9.75" rear make it a tank I mean the IRS in the newer expys is nice too hahah well I'm going with expedition because the forum here is some of the best guys ever for knowledge and help

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently went through the same decision process. It was time to replace my '99 EB 4x4. I was considering a Yukon XL and Expedition EL. The main reason I didn't go with the GM product is materials used in the cabin seem sub par to those used by Ford. Especially the leather.

My father in law bought a used loaded 2007 Yukon with low miles. The day he bought it, he brought it over. I was messing around checking it out and was surprised at how cheap the interior seemed to be. In fact, one of the plastic headrest buttons flew off when I touched it. I've ridden in it several times since and still consider the interior sub par.

When I drove the '11 Expedition EL, I was really surprised at how awesome it was on the highway. I've had it since March and I'm still excited about it. In fact, we just got back from a trip to NH, 15 hours away, and didn't feel the fatigue I've had in other vehicles. So far, the power concern I had hasn't cropped up. I didn't realize at the time that the 5.4 of '99 and the 5.4 of the newer trucks was that different.

In a nut shell, I was open to both but stuck with Ford. Just seemed to be the best deal for the money to me.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two main reasons I picked the Expedition over the Tahoe. Completely flat load floor from tailgate to first row seats, and the value for the money. I personally liked the looks of the Tahoe better, but I despised the thought of having to remove the third row seat to haul anything, and the fact that the second row seats did not fold flat in line with the rear floor.

I recently went through the same decision process. It was time to replace my '99 EB 4x4. I was considering a Yukon XL and Expedition EL. The main reason I didn't go with the GM product is materials used in the cabin seem sub par to those used by Ford. Especially the leather.

My father in law bought a used loaded 2007 Yukon with low miles. The day he bought it, he brought it over. I was messing around checking it out and was surprised at how cheap the interior seemed to be. In fact, one of the plastic headrest buttons flew off when I touched it. I've ridden in it several times since and still consider the interior sub par.

When I drove the '11 Expedition EL, I was really surprised at how awesome it was on the highway. I've had it since March and I'm still excited about it. In fact, we just got back from a trip to NH, 15 hours away, and didn't feel the fatigue I've had in other vehicles. So far, the power concern I had hasn't cropped up. I didn't realize at the time that the 5.4 of '99 and the 5.4 of the newer trucks was that different.

In a nut shell, I was open to both but stuck with Ford. Just seemed to be the best deal for the money to me.

Yeah the 3v 5.4 is truly different. Driving it and then thinking back on the 2v 5.4 there is a pretty noticeable difference but nothing night and day. But I will say that I wonder where all these complaints about power are coming from about how its just "adequate" or subpar to other offerings. I dont have those feelings after having driven the 5.3 and 5.4.

Jeckler

Reaction score
Like others, we chose our '03 for the IRS and fold flat 3rd row. I don't care for the styling of the 1st gens and the ride is harsher. We had looked at Suburban's, Tahoe's and even a Dodge Durango, but kept coming back to the Ford.

tojohnso

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah the 3v 5.4 is truly different. Driving it and then thinking back on the 2v 5.4 there is a pretty noticeable difference but nothing night and day. But I will say that I wonder where all these complaints about power are coming from about how its just "adequate" or subpar to other offerings. I dont have those feelings after having driven the 5.3 and 5.4.

I'm not sure either. It could be from towing large trailers. I felt my '99 5.4 could have used more power when towing my 24' RV. it's one of the reasons I was "considering" the GM 2500 based Yukon. Since I haven't towed my trailer more than a short test drive, I don't have an opinion on my '11.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not sure either. It could be from towing large trailers. I felt my '99 5.4 could have used more power when towing my 24' RV. it's one of the reasons I was "considering" the GM 2500 based Yukon. Since I haven't towed my trailer more than a short test drive, I don't have an opinion on my '11.

Honestly I think the lack of a 250 option on the Ford is a big oversight. I understand the need for a 2500/250 wagon isnt what it used to be, but there are plenty of people who'd prefer a wagon truck for the family then getting a crew cab but have to get the pickup truck. This is where, IMHO, the suburban wins against the EL. While the EL is great and all those who need a hair more capability youll be buying a pickup or going GM.

Last edited:

capitlj

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't bout one yet but I made the decision on a exit loop doing about 15 mph over the limit. The Expedition EL, I hear the shorter wheelbase isnt quite the same, handles like a much smaller and lighter vehicle. That was a big concern of mine, I do like the third row being so convenient to stow. Another concern I had is I'm a large man, 6'4 about 300 pounds, so I had to be comfortable and still be able to get a child seat behind me. I cant do that in a Suburban, my knees hit the dash.

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most of why I decided on my Expy (only 3 weeks ago) have already been laid out. Main reason was the price. Way more for my money than GM. I am normally a dodge man but could not fit in the durangos in my price range as I'm 6'7" and 265.

I test drove a Tahoe a while ago and the rear seats do not fold truly flat as they do in even my first Gen, it'd be nice to have a flat folding 3rd row as in the 2nd gens and up, but hey, they were more expensive.

After converting to the coil spirng setup the ride and handling is amazing in my opinon, especially for a truck. Power delivery is much more buttery if you ask me, the GM's always seemed kind of funny, but that may be a personal preference thing.

Main reason though, how much car can you get for your money, Ford usually wins in this category.