Wiggly COP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So this weekend was spent changing out the spark plugs in my truck. I did new Motorcraft plugs and Accel Supercoils. I noticed one coil is loose despite the bolt being down as far as it will go. I did not think to give the old coils the wiggle test before pulling them out of there.

The coil is on cylinder 7, which is directly below the fuel pressure regulator on the drivers side. Has anyone had this happen to them? That bolt took me over an hour just to get started due to the regulator being in the way, so by the time I discovered the issue, I was not taking that sucker out to add washers if I did not have to.

The truck seems to run fine they way it is, and way better than it did before the project, so I am inclined to leave it as is, but was curious if others have had similar issues. The other 7 locked down fine and do not wiggle at all.

Last edited:

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had that issue. .. I kept tighten until that basted broke. .. don't do that.... I think you will be ok. I have 2 not being held on by anything. At least you have a screw in yours.

B

bedrck46

sounds like you have some dirt in the hole or the bolt is too long or the hole was never drilled and tapped out properly in the first place

OP
OP
FordandPolaris

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had that issue. .. I kept tighten until that basted broke. .. don't do that.... I think you will be ok. I have 2 not being held on by anything. At least you have a screw in yours.

That was my concern as well. I gave it way more than I would have liked but it never broke. I figure the plug is the one that is stressed upwards, not the COP, so as long as it made good contact on the plug, it would be ok.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it prob just came loose, those metal inserts molded into the manifold are not strong at all, i broke one loose on cylinder 5. Let me tell you, i spend a whole weekend fixing that.

wadesdad

Reaction score
Lost one of those bolts in my garage and the hardware store replacement needed a washer to allow it to snug up. I couldn't live with a wiggly COP, but I'm really picky!

jgemienhardt

Reaction score
I replaced all 8 on mine a few months ago. I had the same problem, and the same headache with the one under the fuel pressure regulator. I just put a washer on it to take the wiggle away. Then a week after I did mine I replaced them in my buddies F150, also the same wiggly coil. Mine is a 98 5.4 and his is a 99 5.4. I have not read an TSB's on it, but I'm sure there is more than just the four of us with this problem.

1stGeExpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just posted a thread on this too. The previous owner zip tied the #8 COP plug to the fuel injector plug to keep the wiggle to a minimum. I'm planning on fixing it Monday after work. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I removed the entire intake manifold and bored out the old insert. Then i made a aluminum replacement with identical threads, roughed up the out side of my new insert and use some two part epoxy to seal it in. Its not too hard to do. You can also throw in a new intake manifold gasket while your at it. You can also swap all the plugs because everything is so exposed and plugs are cheap so your saving such a hastle. I would also get new coil boots and springs which are also pretty cheap off of rock auto. Its a weekend project but if you haul ass i got the intake manifold out in an hour and a half.

Last edited: