winch, without bumper mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hello all,
was just wondering if anyone has a winch on their 3rd gen expy? and if you had to change the front bumper or you managed to fit it some other way?
i found a 6000lbs winch which i like the look of but, not really wanting to change out the bumper also, it will cost me a fortune to ship a winch bumper out here.
any suggestions or experience with this?
cheers

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
There is a hidden mount that I know fits the 1st gens. I'm not sure if it fits the 3rd gen trucks.

I think that Warn makes it and it mounts where the tow hooks attach.

Razor

Reaction score
Warn

I have a warn Mount for the gen 1. Did some mods to make it centered... The newer mount should be centered if not, very easy to fix. If you need to see pics go to my Updates/mod pics to see the outcome.

Very sweet set up if your looking for a hidden / stock look. I have a Smittybilt H2O 12,000 tucked away.

I was able to keep my tow hooks as well.

Warn Industries - Hidden Kit Application Chart for Ford

Last edited:
OP
OP
standardmoose

standardmoose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys.

razor if you could send me a few photos it would be much appriciated.

cheers

OrlandoG

Reaction score
I am so grateful I found this discussion. I am wishing for a stock look, but cannot find a mounting bracket.

The only thing I find is folks who offer to sell me (what they claim to be) a custom grill from which a winch can be mounted. But I'm a) not eager to buy something I am not sure will in fact fit the Expy and the winch, but that will detract from the stock look (I know, I know.).

dcarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you could always buy a front hitch mount and then get a winch that slides into the 2" reciever.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6,000 lbs isn't going to cut it. Empty weight is probably 6,000 or close to it. Your winch should be at least 1.5X the weight of the vehicle. That would mean a minimum of a 9,000 lb winch. Personally I would go with a 9,500 and in reality a 12,000 lb winch especially in your climate, high temps and most likely long pulls.

Both milemarker and Sterling mfg make mounts, they are not hidden but it's going to be hard to pack a 12,000 winch out of sight. However as noted above I would go with a front receiver but I would make my own using 2" square in place of the tow hooks, this would allow you to use a 12,000 lbs winch without concern of failure if the mounts were built correctly.

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A receiver mount can also be moved th back if needed

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4