Wind noise ... how to find source?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently had bodywork done on my 12 Ltd to fix a crease down the entire right side of the rig. During the process, everything was dismantled. Something seems to be missing, but I don't see what. There is a wind noise above 65 MPH in the area of the front of the passenger's door. I can't seem to get anyone else to be worried about it, but it drives me nuts. Does anyone have a suggestion for a way to self-diagnose the problem without me sitting on the console at 70 MPH? ;)

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No one is chiming in, so I will make a stab at it,

First I would take it back to the shop and keep bugging them until they make it right.

It would be hard to diagnose without being at the rig to look over every gasket and mating surface. I am sure you have already checked to make sure they have all the gaskets back on and they are pliable.

Also, check at the window to make sure it is closing correctly and all the way up. My kids just bought a 10 XLT this past Xmas up in Tacoma. I noticed it had hardware foam insulation above the passenger door. I thought, what the heck. And it was a whistler when hitting highway speeds. So further research showed window not closing all the way, looked good but glass short or not hitting all the way up. I replaced the window regulator and noise went away.

One of the tricks of old was to shut a piece of paper in the door and pull the paper. Check for resistance. We would do this in the area of concern and 3-4 other places around the door. Normally doors are adjustable and can be made to fit tight and still keep a nice reveal. The body shop who done the work can certainly do any adjustments.

Stay after the shop, that noise is certainly a distraction

Gary

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remove passenger front door panel and check the inner liner. The buytl tape used has to be 100%. Learned this the hard way replacing speakers. There is a lot of it and any small deviations can lead to a lot of noise. Lowes / Home Depot sells it in the roofing section. 1/4 or 1/8 inch by 50 feet for a few bucks. Check that the liner isn't torn anywhere.

Removing the panel takes only a few minutes and basic hand tools. Plenty of you tube videos to help.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turn the radio on full volume close all windows and with you outside, grab a length of garden hose and use it as a listening device. Probe all seams and observe where the sound would be loudest. That's the leaky area.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Turn the radio on full volume close all windows and with you outside, grab a length of garden hose and use it as a listening device. Probe all seams and observe where the sound would be loudest. That's the leaky area.

Now that is a new way to do the testing! I like it. The other way is to put masking tape over the door seams starting with the front and working your way back. Time consuming but usually helps.

OP
OP
FisherPete

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good advice! Thanks. I have been on the shop's case. They were even apologetic, giving me a Preferred Customer card entitling me to 5 free oil changes (ka-ching), but so far no resolution to the wind noise. I anticipate they'll get tired of me eventually. I am no longer a profit center!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't be taking apart door panels or doing anything on a vehicle that's supposed to come back to you 100 percent. Ask the manager to ride with you on the highway. You can usually feel the wind leak on your hand. Like the others said, it's probably a poor door seal alignment, or a window that's not sealing completely. They make audio equipment to check for noises, see if they or a different shop has them. They may have to send you to one of their competition to complete job. Not unheard of in the business. Be sure to let your insurance company know, your not a happy camper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had success stopping wind noise by getting my gloved fingers behind where the gaskets bend and pulling them outward. It may not solve this issue but definitely helps with wind noise.

EL Expedition

Reaction score
Check your door weatherstripping and make sure it is all on good, and check your inner fender well. Compare all the seals to the other side of the vehicle. If the weatherstripping is off just a smidge it will cause issues.

The Swagonmaster

Reaction score
This will need a second person but if you take a piece of vacuum or fuel hose and hold one end to your ear and move the other end around the door while driving you have a poor man's stethoscope and can at least get a decent idea of where the noise is.