wiring question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello everyone i'm new to this site have some question.i have 1998 ford expedition wanting to replace stereo also adding in new amp with new speakers.my question is should i reuse the factory wire or just simpley run new wire to everything?

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unless you're going to replace what you have with the mother-of-all speakers, just reuse that wire.

The power wire for the head unit will also probably be OK.

For the additional amp, you should run 2 new wires, one hot and one ground. You need an inline fuse at the battery for the + and the guage wire you need will be dictated by the amp you buy. Probably 4g will be enough and you can buy that on Amazon along with the fuse holders etc.

This additional amp, is this a 4 ch amp for door speakers or just for subs?

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Oh ok thanks no i'm getting a 6 ch amp 1500 watts as for the alternator i'm getting a 300 amp.but my subs and speaker are gonna be on the same amp.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like plenty for what you want to do. Where are you planning on mounting the amp?

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're on the right track...I want to put my amps in where the factory sub is...3600d amp and maybe 800-1000 rms 4-ch amp...replace door speakers with hertz audio so I'll b selling my kickers soon...I have 200 watt alt running 4 Ga but will be drop'n 0 Ga when everything gets in...6-ch 1500 watts is plenty to run what you have...take pics of the setup during your build

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Ya thanks guys and girls incase there any girls here.but i'm not to sure where i'm going to put the amps trying find a place where it will keep pretty cool!i may add in cooling fans for the amps.also i may rewire the system not sure the factory wire can carry it.i've seen my share of wires catch on fire from overloading.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1