with or without 420 t case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99expeditionbauer

Reaction score
My transfer case is binding on the chain at 30 mph in a4wd and hi4wd but not 4 low i was looking at used ones but the junkyards are saying with 420 with out 420 what does that mean i have torque on demand i believe? my switch is on the dash i only got a4wd hi4wd and 4 low also whats this brown wire mod i hear about does that give you a 2wd mode? i have no tag on my tcase i believe its a 4406 sorry im new if i posted in the wrong spot.

tcase.png

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The brown wire mod is to do away with the awd feature, and make the system either two wheel or 4 wheel drive. The awd was only I believe on 99-02 models. Don't know how to tell about the transfer case though. I'm sure one of the others knows.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Start by pulling fuse 104 in the underhood fuse box. If that fixes your issue, I believe the brown wire mod will solve your problems while still allowing you to have full use of your 4wd system.

OP
OP

99expeditionbauer

Reaction score
i pulled the fuse a while ago to deactivate the t case works fine without it but i plan on replacing the t case before winter i live in new england sounds like its the chain binding up when the torque on demand kicks in at 30 just need to know what tcase i need to buy
with or without 420

Last edited: