would you do it....possibly?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveyj

Reaction score
Looking at a 98 eb 5.4l. Owner said it blew a plug. They tried fixing it but now the plug is not all the way in and they can't get it out now. Has 243,000 miles. Haven't seen it in person yet as it's about 2 hours away. I think I can pick it up for around $800
Exterior looks to be in good shape. Driver's seat I
Is torn and armrests look bad. Rest looks like it needs a good cleaning.

Would you go check it out?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at your costs to go look at it. If you buy it how are you getting it back home? Trailer or drive it? I wouldn't offer more than 500 when they are dirty. Shows the level of maintanence under the current owner.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Body looks decent in the pics, is it lifted or 4wd? Any chance of getting pics of the engine bay?
What are your mechanical abilities and tools available? Are you able to do a proper engine/transmission rebuild?

OP
OP
Daveyj

Daveyj

Reaction score
Body looks decent in the pics, is it lifted or 4wd? Any chance of getting pics of the engine bay?
What are your mechanical abilities and tools available? Are you able to do a proper engine/transmission rebuild?

No lift. It is 4x4. I've got all the basic mechanics tools. I could put a motor together with a good manual, but I've never attempted a transmission. I'll have to ask about a picture of the engine bay.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are 3 sizes of inserts for fixing the blown plug problem, so I have been told. I would find out what they used on the head and why they can't get the plug out. If they used stud and bearing mount on the insert it is possible that it is on the spark plug also. Removing the insert may damage the head more.

How much work & money do you plan on investing in it should you get it?