wtf is wrong with my expedition!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunsetAZ

Reaction score
ok i pulled codes p0306 and p0406. cylinder 6 misfire and egr insufficient flow. well i noticed my egr sensor looked different then the one on autozones site. so i shelled 55 bucks and got it. and i think i installed the 2 hoses correctly. the 2 hoses go to there plugs. if i try to swap them, one of them doesnt reach. well my check engine light came on today and the dude at autozone said p0401. now what do i do? its a 98 4.6 4x4.

JDMitchell

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P401 is still your EGR valve. It could be as small as a gasket that is causing the problem. Your best bet would be to pull the EGR valve and see what it looks like.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did you check the elbow in the back of the throttle body? thats a good cause of vacuum leak! that will throw codes!

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P401 is still your EGR valve. It could be as small as a gasket that is causing the problem. Your best bet would be to pull the EGR valve and see what it looks like.

yes i agree and clean it while you have it off and make sure the vacum line going to it is in good shape...

plus check what panda said also... vacum leaks are a problem on these things

OP
OP
S

SunsetAZ

Reaction score
im not a engine guy at all. i definitely know how to turn wrenches and get dirty but im not someone who can pull it apart unless im told exactly where it is and what im looking for. and if you could tell me what to take apart to get this part out it would be great. i want to tackle this myself. i love the feeling of fixing things that can save me $$$

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the egr valve you just pull off of the intake and you will see what gets all carboned up you don't actually disassemble the part just remove it and clean it

OP
OP
S

SunsetAZ

Reaction score
so just pull the egr valve off and clean it? like i can just undo the egr valve from the truck and put it on my work table and clean it? also what do you guys advise me to use to clean it?