WTH is this ticking/banging noise!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

agford4x4

Reaction score
Just got done towing 7k trailer from Texas to Michigan and back. Expy performs fine, no issues at all, but it developed a really loud ticking/knocking noise. No codes of any kind, no performance problems. I changed the plugs today since it has 103,000 miles. The noise can be pinpointed to the base of the #8 Injector (drivers side rear). I am pretty sure its that, but not certain as I cannot hear the noise that well without a scope from the top of the motor. From the wheel or underneath it sounds like my diesel banging around. You can hear it in the valve cover on that side, but its really really faint. I'm not sure where it originates but it is around the rear driver's side somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas?

2013 Expy EL 5.4L

Any insight is appreciated.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ticking noises usually are valve/ upper end related. Louder deeper knocking noises are usually lower end. Main bearing, lower connecting rod bearing failure. As stamp stated you might have a malfunctioning worn injector. They will cause a ticky sound similar to a loose rocker arm. Years back when I worked with Datsun 810, 260, 280 z, they had very ticky injectors. It fooled me thinking I had loose rocker arms. If the removal of #8 injector plug, or #7 plug. Could be either one, doesn't change the noise, You or your mechanic will need to pull that valve cover checking for wear. The rear cam lifters have problems with oiling in some cases, and can freeze in their bores, causing an abundance of valve clearance of that cylinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayes Riviere

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is no way relevant to your inquiry, but did you said: "it sounds like my diesel banging around". Is your Expedition a diesel? My dad and I have got practically the exact same cars as you: 2013 expedition ELs with the Triton 5.4 V8.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hayes at the end of his post he states the year and engine 5.4, not a diesel, just sounds like one.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If its louder underneath, it could be the connecting rod bearing. Do the screwdriver test. Remove #8 spark plug, put piston slightly past TDC. Then, with a large screwdriver try to push the piston down. If you feel a give, then you've found your problem.

coach k

Reaction score
The ticking noise is most likely the injector. The injectors are known to be loud. There is not a performance problem related to this, just noise. I've had it in my 04 with the 5.4L for quite some time.

OP
OP
A

agford4x4

Reaction score
If I pull off the connector on the FI in question, then that's not good for it to run and not fire. Also, this thing is a pig since the noise started. Passing a car at 50 mph is quite laborious and frightening. Sometimes you can't even get it to downshift, if you do, you can get the RPM up, but there is pretty much no change in power to move a lot faster.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your post is a little confusing. Did you pull the connecter to the injector in question in question? And did the noise stop? Your not supposed to drive it disconnected, as you'll only be working on 7 cylinders. The purpose of this test is 1, to see if noise stopped, and 2, if it did, after replacing noisy injector, did power come back. You'll need to replace the bad injector in question.

OP
OP
A

agford4x4

Reaction score
No, I did not pull the injector connector yet. Just wanted to make sure it was safe to do. Its probably going to throw a misfire code though, lol.