xenon install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebeast1190

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have been going to his shop for three years and I trust them. I called them today to find out the cost to have xenon's installed. They quoted me $300 for for the kit and install. I don't want to think there trying to rip me off but that seems high.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Beast, based on the quality of the kit, that isn't too far off. Keep in mind that you need to clarify whether they are a basic xenon HID kit or if they are installing bi-xenons (you need bi-xenons in your truck to maintain all of the stock features). The bi-xenon kits are more expensive. Also, I would see if they are doing a relay harness to ensure maximum voltage to the HIDs or if they are just tapping into the factory wiring. Personally, I would not recommend tapping into the factory wiring as the starting current for HIDs is far, far more than the headlight switch can handle for a long time. works great for a short time, but will lead to failure in the future.

OP
OP
thebeast1190

thebeast1190

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe they are bi-xenons since I was told I would no longer have high beams. I am not sure about the relay harness I will have to ask. For that price I would hope it would be a good quality kit. Anything I should ask or look for to be sure? It also comes with a three year parts and lifetime labor warranty.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Beast, if you don't mind a little bit of a drive, come on down to my place and we can get the bi-xenon kit installed for about $20 above what a bi-xenon kit would cost. So, you are looking at about $150 total. Installing the kits is easy and doing up a harness to make the HIDs work with relays is easy. Probably take about 2 hours to do. But, unfortunately, what you are paying mainly for is the cost of labor.

THe parts bit is nice, but any tech that is worth their weight would do a good quality install from the beginning and you shouldn't have to advertise "lifetime labor". But, I guess it is another one of those things that helps get the customers in the door. But then, I tend to use things that most shops are not aware of like "Raychem" heatshrink and stuff like that. But then, I guess that is why when I do a wiring mod, I never have to worry about it in the future. Haven't had a wiring mod fail on me yet after 10+ years.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL $300. Especially for a single "filament" kit.

As a side note, Thermo, what bi-xenon kits have you come across that didn't have a relay? The VVMEs I've installed and DDMs I've heard of people installing all came with relays/"modules". At least in the VVME 9007 I installed, it was bulb socket -> shrink wrapped relay -> light and solenoid output. And these are the "cheap" kits. I assumed the more expensive kits came with this as well since, let's face it, most of these kits are the same thing with different stickers on them.

I did hear some people having trouble with the "modules" on their DDM kits on F150online. Me thinks the relay would crap out or the connections would come loose since sometimes jiggling the area would temporarily fix the problem.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Elvato, I haven't installed any bi-xenon kits myself. All of the kits I have done are the single filament ones. None of the kits I have seen have the relay harness included with them unless the person specifically asked for a relay harness. When I say relay harness, I am not talking about something that would control the hi/low portion of the HID bulb, what I am talking about is a relay that would power the ballast itself. We may be taking about different relays here. The relay I am talking about would allow most of the current to bypass the headlight switch and go directly from the battery to the ballast (using the headlight switch as only the control signal which is a very low current thing).

OP
OP
thebeast1190

thebeast1190

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the help thermo. I stopped at another shop near me and they said they could do it for $165. I guess I will give them a try. I have to look back at all the work they've done for me and see what else they may have screwed me on.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have the 4 VVME bi-xenon kits and i love them...like $75 prolly less now shipped and come with a full relay harness and everything you need. one kit i have is from late 2006 or early 2007 and works wonderfully with no bulb or ballets issues in that time.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elvato, I haven't installed any bi-xenon kits myself. All of the kits I have done are the single filament ones. None of the kits I have seen have the relay harness included with them unless the person specifically asked for a relay harness. When I say relay harness, I am not talking about something that would control the hi/low portion of the HID bulb, what I am talking about is a relay that would power the ballast itself. We may be taking about different relays here. The relay I am talking about would allow most of the current to bypass the headlight switch and go directly from the battery to the ballast (using the headlight switch as only the control signal which is a very low current thing).

Yea, I gotcha :)

The "module" come with a positive cable (to hook to positive side of battery), a negative cable (ground for ballasts), a bulb input (used as trigger to turn on headlight and activating solenoid), and bulb outputs (+ and - for ballast, and a power wire for the solenoid). In essence, a relay with a tap for the high beam solenoid. There were also ground wires for each bulb, probably for the solenoids.

I guess they figured they might as well include the relay to be able to power the ballast when switching from low to high since the lows turn off when the high beams are activated, and vice versa. Looking at it, though it's a bit wider than a relay, and it's wrapped in a rubbery plastic. The one I put in (VVME) had a red glitter sprayed on the wrapping.

Yea, all the single kits I've seen were relay-less, unless you paid extra for a harness. I used to run relay-less with a Retrosolutions kit, but I'd have start up problems. I was told a relay kit would fix the issue, so I ordered it (silly me paying for that). Not only did it not fully fix the issue, but the relay failed months later. Not sure what brand it was (said "HID" in white letters).

Either way, got rid of that, and went with VVMEs and a Bosch relay. They're a lot cheaper and I haven't had start up problem ever since.

Last edited: