Yes, ANOTHER blend door post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello, fine folks of Expeditionforum.com....

Yes, I have searched, and so far haven't seen exactly my issue. I'm sure you guys will point me to at least 15 threads with my exact issue, lol.

Ok, 08 EB 4x4. EATC.

So my wife, who usually rides in the passenger seat, has often complained about not liking the "Auto" temp feature. I finally figured out why:

No matter the setting (auto, floor, defrost, feet, dash) there is always some air coming out of the passenger side dash vents. She complains it dries her contacts out in her eyes. This problem does not occur on the driver's side. Now, when you do turn it to dash manually and turn the fan speed up a ways, the airflow does increase like it should. however when you switch to floor or defrost, while it does change to the right setting, some air still comes out the passenger side.

Now: blend door actuator?? (BTW, no clicking noises at any point)
Or, is something stuck in the duct somewhere preventing the door from making the motions that it should?

Thanks.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense, but seems like it would affect both drivers and passenger side, unless there's a door for position on each half....just thinking out loud here...

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Study the exploded drawing on this page below, it'll make sense I think.
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/ac-repair-parts/duct-air-6542485-1

You'll see part 19B680B feeds the driver and passenger side dashboard mounted ducts independently.

That 19B680B sits over the two rectangular openings, each has one circle at the top and two at the bottom. Those rectangular openings are "output selector" doors, what I'd call a damper. This allows for the Dual Zone gimmick setting. The damper for her passenger side isn't fully closing.

Pure speculation as to why its not fully closing, and I don't think there is any easy way to tell for sure. These dampers could be vacuum actuated, as shown in this 2004 diagram, item #6 being the vacuum:

2011-07-25_032111_04_nav2.gif

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that makes sense, but seems like it would affect both drivers and passenger side, unless there's a door for position on each half....just thinking out loud here...
If you have the dual system each side has its own control. The diagram above would be really nice if we had the key to see what the numbers represent without having to guess. I tried the link but could see the image.

OP
OP
S

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The image is viewable if you put in your vin or select a vehicle. it doesn't really clarify things a whole lot though. The image that comes up for my vin is different than the above, but of course, doesn't show the side where the controls might be

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I get
D2E408F6-ADC6-4700-916C-BB5AC9E4025E.jpeg

Sounds like your mode door is partially stuck. Mine always had air coming out the defroster no matter where i set my control I probably have the same issue, it doesn’t bother me though as all the rest work and switch properly.

Last edited: