00 Front Passenger Side Axle Play at the Tube Shaft Play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BaldDad

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a long time lurker and has found this forum to be extremely helpful to me. I have not had to post until now. I am hoping I can get some help from this forum. I have a 2020 Expedition Max XLT 4WD. I have been plagued with vibration that is felt throughout the whole vehicle above 70mph which increases or decreases in intensity with speed of the vehicle and not speed of the engine. I have had this into the dealer and have always asked for a diagnostics and have been told the entire vehicle has been checked and nothing found. Sometimes they have said that they also feel the vibration and that it is considered normal for this vehicle and that all of them do it. I have mostly come to just accept that but I recently noticed something that I thought I would bring up but I am hesitant to ask the dealer again to check this before seeking guidance if what I am experiencing is truly normal.

I will mention that I have since replaced all 4 tires with some good Firestone tires and the vibration did not change one bit. I have had all 4 wheels road forced balanced multiple times with no change at all. I have also replaced all 4 corners pads and rotors. I also swap tires around with no difference in vibration.

What I am seeing (you can see in the video linked below) is play in the front passenger side axle where it meets the differential tube or stub (not sure what it is called). Picture included for showing the tube I am trying to describe and the bearing in question. This play is up and down and front to back (0 play in and out). I would guess this would be enough to cause a high speed vibration but I have seen in some fwd cars where this play is normal at the transmission. I looked at the ford parts site and I do see that there is a bearing right at this location so I would suspect that there should be little to no play in this area but I also note that the axle will spline with the shaft at this point also so that may be the play point.

I am looking for overall advice on if this play is normal and if it can be the cause of the vibration (some of my passengers have stated that they can feel their insides vibrating). I have looked on this forum extensively and have looked into others success and failures and I have found it not to helpful for me but I am open to suggestions.

Likely unrelated but I do have oil build up or a leak at the center transfer case. I do not see an obvious leak point but the fluid is oil like and not transmission fluid or anything like that. The vehicle will be in the shop tomorrow for them to look at this. I am still reluctant to ask them to check into my new concern because I feel like if I give the dealer too much, they either short change certain areas, or just get annoyed and really don't care to look. I have tried a few dealers in the area and the others just seem like they are good at oil changes and that's all.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire