'04 Expy 5.4 - p0306 not resolved by changing plug. Truck shaking.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

Fat Slob

Reaction score
Release one or two bolts on the fuel rail I forget, pull up the rail so the injector clears the engine block, unsnap the injector from clip while holding a paper towel around it.
Do the other injectors pull out as well when you lift the fuel rail or can you isolate the one you want?

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do the other injectors pull out as well when you lift the fuel rail or can you isolate the one you want?

They do come up, but they are still attached to the fuel rail so they don't (shouldn't) release any gas. The injectors aren't under compression, so they are just held in the intake manifold by their o-rings and the fuel rail itself.

How difficult is this task?

Service manual puts it at 4.6hrs to replace the valve cover gasket. The valve seals are 2.7hrs plus the valve cover gasket time. The driver's side is pretty straightforward, the passenger side requires draining the cooling system if you have rear climate control because those hoses need to be disconnected.

It's a solid weekend job, but it can be done.

The valve seals are harder. You have to ensure the valves don't fall into the cylinder, and if they do, you get to remove a head, yay! It's pretty unlikely it's the valve seals, though. More likely the seals around the spark plug wells that you change along with the valve cover gaskets.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How difficult is this task?

Dont you have the evil flimsy plugs on an '04???

Even without that its a pain in the ass for a couple hours.

Oh here's thr fastest one, disconnect the power clip to the injector on #6 and start the truck. If its the injector, your symptoms should remain fairly unchanged. If stuff gets worse, your injector was working (at least to some extent lol).

Still its almost certainly either the injector or the coilpack on #6.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dont you have the evil flimsy plugs on an '04???

Even without that its a pain in the ass for a couple hours.

Oh, yeah. You do.

tenor.gif

Definitely eliminate everything else first then because pulling plugs is not so easy.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WAIT just kidding, isn't it a 2V and not a 3V? The 2V never had the spark plug issue, only the 3V.

bnicov

Reaction score
Was the oil on the electrode end or the the insulator end?? If the oil is inside the engine, you are looking at bad piston rings or valve seals. If the oil is only on the body of the plug, then you are looking at valve cover gaskets which is doable.

OP
OP
F

Fat Slob

Reaction score
Was the oil on the electrode end or the the insulator end?? If the oil is inside the engine, you are looking at bad piston rings or valve seals. If the oil is only on the body of the plug, then you are looking at valve cover gaskets which is doable.
The oil seemed to be more on the body of the plug.

Also - quick update: As previous poster suggested I unplugged battery cable to let computer reset and synch the new plug I installed. Immediately after reconnecting battery the truck had same issues. However, over the course of the following day the miss/shake got noticeably less and by end of day it was completely gone. I have driven it since Friday and it's been running great and no codes, knock on wood. I guess its possible the computer did correct the timing with the new plug... I will pretend the issue is fixed and won't return..

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The oil seemed to be more on the body of the plug.

Also - quick update: As previous poster suggested I unplugged battery cable to let computer reset and synch the new plug I installed. Immediately after reconnecting battery the truck had same issues. However, over the course of the following day the miss/shake got noticeably less and by end of day it was completely gone. I have driven it since Friday and it's been running great and no codes, knock on wood. I guess its possible the computer did correct the timing with the new plug... I will pretend the issue is fixed and won't return..

The learning computer can compensate for a LOT of weird engine anomalies, it's pretty smart. It allows for a really efficient and specific tune for your specific engine weirdness, since no engine performs identically.

It can also be super weird when that weirdness changes or goes away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turro15