05-06 Navigator Opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998Exp

Reaction score
Hi,
Been thinking of purchasing a second gen Expedition or Navigator. The main difference seems to be the 6-speed ZF transmission in the Navigator. Something tells me that these are rare and hard to repair if they fail. Does anyone have an opinion on that -- or on the 05-06 Navigators in general. Many thanks!

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
never heard of the ZF trans having issues.
no different than working on a torque shift, really both are a pain in the ass.
if it has the 5.4l 4V stay away from it if future costs will be a concern for you. that engine is a nightmare to work on in the shop and youll pay for it. but I think 04 was the last year of the 4valve.
your 2nd gen navigator probably wont have no more issues than my 2010 navigator would have.

wait your navigator should have the 5R55W? I thought only the superdutys got the ZF.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1998Exp

Reaction score
Thanks for your opinion!
As far as I know, the Navigator never used the 5R55W. I believe that from 2007 on it shared the Expedition's new 6R75.
never heard of the ZF trans having issues.
no different than working on a torque shift, really both are a pain in the ass.
if it has the 5.4l 4V stay away from it if future costs will be a concern for you. that engine is a nightmare to work on in the shop and youll pay for it. but I think 04 was the last year of the 4valve.
your 2nd gen navigator probably wont have no more issues than my 2010 navigator would have.

wait your navigator should have the 5R55W? I thought only the superdutys got the ZF.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmm. I could have sworn all non diesel trucks/SUVs/vans used the 5R55W until the 6speed except the van.
other then that remember a navigator has more electronics than an expedition but everything else is just normal wear and tear stuff.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
05 is the first year for the 3v and 03 and up have the ZF 6 speed. It' not as common as the 5 speed but not all that rare. It's in a few European cars, BMW, Mercedes, Jag, etc. There are a few aftermarket parts for it, clutches and some hard parts. Overall it's not unreliable.

Other than that the Navi's all have air suspension and some added electronics, I don't know if the Expys could get heated/cooled seats, power running boards, etc. Nice if you're into it. More to break if you are or not.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you turn wrenches and bust knuckles, take a look at the 5.4L 32 valve engine in the engine bay.
Do you:
1) really want to work on it?
2) think you can afford a valve job?
3) want to buy premium gas?

I was looking at them for the wife a while back. Until I opened the hood....
If I'm going down that road, the emblem will say BMW/M5

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegerb50