06 coil brand?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdavid13

Reaction score
I looking into replacing plugs and coils. The plugs are a given motorcraft, but what about the coils? Should you stick with motorcraft or go with another brand? Places online are selling sets of 8 with a lifetime warranty for about $40. Is it worth the risk?
give me your thoughts

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the cheapies, no. Members have gotten full Motorcraft sets online for around $80.00. we've heard the Accel brand online have held up well also. $65.00 I think. Honestly though if you still have the OEM Ford ones, just change the boots on them, and leave the coils alone unless you've got a misfire. Even then replace just the one coil. The plugs definitely, with Ford one piece type.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly here is the best thing to do:
As Moose said just change all the plugs and boots. Buy one (1) spare OEM Motorcraft coil and keep it on the truck should one ever fail. Plugs foul and boots get brittle and crack. Coils aren’t like plugs in that they have an indefinite lifespan. It’s not a wear item.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am the one person here who says the "generic" ones are good. I have put a set in both of my my expeditions from Amazon for about $35/shipped and NEVER had a problem with them. I will buy them again next Expedition too. I also would put in a set of Bosch Iridiums over the Motorcraft platinums... Again, I have used Bosch Iridiums on both my Expeditions and love them! They last longer and seems smoother to me.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
David, what year expedition do you own? It makes a difference to know if it's a 2v 5.4L or 4.6L (03-04) or a 3v 5.4L (05-06)?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also have had no early failures on the aftermarket ones off eBay. Have used 4-5 different brands and colors.
My first set of aftermarkets was in 2000 8 for a V10. I use the yellow ones off of eBay. It was nine years and have replaced one of them for some occasional misfires. I ended up replacing one other one about a year later. Then I did a few sets three to four years ago and those are all still fine. I just did a set 2 weeks ago on a 32 valve Navigator so hoping nose hold up for at least 4-5 years.
I am ultimately a cheapskate and even though The Navigators are a little hard to change I would still be much happier using these at under $40 for the entire set as long as I get over 3 years out of them versus paying a lot more for OEM or Motorcraft. This is my first navigator and my wife had an expedition with a 5.4 2 valve for five or six years. Most of my Ford have been Town Cars. I wouldn't consider using anything--but aftermarket in the town cars as I can change the entire set of coils in about 15 minutes.
I didn't see how many miles your engine had on it but I'm assuming it's less than a 150k. If it's lower like that then I would suggest as others have as just replacing the boots and plugs. You're going to find all kinds of moisture and debris in at least a few of the plug wells.
I think a small air compressor and a blowgun is a must for doing these. You can get by by pulling one out and taking the plug out and starting the engine for 3 or 4 seconds to blow everything out but I would still rather just use compressed air and blow everything out while the plug is still in the cylinder head.
A set of boots even at the parts store is under $30 even on the high end. I always remove the spring from the coil terminal inside and spray a little WD-40 or something on it and sometimes wipe it off with a Q-tip before putting the spring back on making sure it's a nice snug fit. You can get into the whole Dielectric grease discussion but that's a whole can of worms. You can coat the inside of the boots and the outside of the boots with Dielectric grease but you shouldn't have an overabundance on the terminal where the spring hooks to or the tip of the spark plug. Just wiping off any huge noticeable amounts with a cloth before sticking it on the plug is fine.
Then you can always keep an eye on it with a code scanner and see if you get any repeated misfire counts how many cylinders but more than likely it will be just fine. It's pretty easy to feel ignition coil miss on one of these at least when it's a constant mess from a call being bad and not firing multiple times.
I have had them work fine until they get hot and I have had some that little would only fire about three to four Sparks when you plug them in. Then went that would go into a constant dead miss or only fire once or twice about every 10 to 20 times they're supposed to fire.
I always keep old coils that I remove from vehicles for test purposes and for quick replacements.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a year and a half on these coils for my 2003 5.4; https://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Lin...automotive&vehicleId=2&vehicleType=automotive. Bought them for $35. Figure for the cost of buying one OEM coil, I could replace all 8 two times over. lol. These coils have 4.5 / 5 stars. As far as cheaper ones go they are highly rated. I tow a 7000# camper and have noticed no loss of performance over the originals before they went.